TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Oral English Experts?
englishgibson - 2010-07-11

CL, respectfully, your input is attractive for learners and the Oral English Experts. Many are familiar with the BC's "not for profit" fallacies and Graddol's from the same orchestra. We all know how important the English language has become, but don't we want to keep it English? Mao's simplified Chinese language/its characters, so should we all follow "simplifying" other languages now? What do you think Mao's reasons to tamper with the language were then? What do you think our reasons would be to "simplify" the English? The globalization you've mentioned has not worked, and for some countries' current policies, it's facing a reversal.

Let me quote you/your research below and reply accordingly;

Graddol then goes on to explain a new paradigm, which represents "the attitudes, values, and ambitions of the newly emerging system" and,... "The declining reverence of native speakers as the gold standard [my emphasis] for English may prove to be one of these.
Yes, he's got it right there and you've got the right word in there too.."the gold". Selling any other language to people in the world, you've got to be flexible. Then, native speakers are usually more expensive and if they're not they still pose threats to local systems/cultures. It's either, you allow the adjustments and have many wear the same brand of clothing, or you go back home wearing it yourself only.

You mentioned CODE. I'm unsure if you meant 'switching' , but Graddol has this to say, "A related characteristic of ESL societies is code-switching:speakers will often switch between English and other languages, even within a single sentence. Knowledge of code-switching norms is an essential part of communicative competence in such societies."
Essential part or a burden? It's unbelievable how much thinking in Chinese but speaking/writing in English ruins local students' essays and/or communications in between locals and us. In fact, I did not see that in Italian or Czech students in 90s. They could express themselves much better in English and even when they were at lower levels of English. From my very experience, an intermediate English level Czech or Italian is usually much better to communicate with than a Chinese is. Here could be one of the reasons why, couldn't it? It's easier to get rid of habits at earlier stages than at later ones, isn't it?

Leaners of English are increasing in number but decreasing in age. But don't be surpised if global English, as part of globalisation, is challenged by Mandarin, Spanish and Arabic in the decades to come. China made English compulsory at primary school only about 20 years ago. If China did adopt English as an official language, Graddol argues that, based on other countries making the switch, it would take 30-50 years.
It sure is. You may see the same trend in sports with all due respect. I don't think anyone will be surprised seeing Mandarin, Spanish or Arabic as the languages to reckon with and that is partially due to the current political situation. Foreign policies of the UK or the US don't exactly fit Hispanic, Arabic and Chinese. So, they'll redirect their oil tankers, cheap food/toys ships etc. Why would these countries have to deal with such a hussle and politics when they really don't have to. By the way, I believe that Cantonese has already become the third language in Canada and I see it coming as one of the official languages in a few years.

In my experience, Chinese teachers do a reasonable job in preparing students, given the restrictions and problems they face. Sure there may be some problems with grammar and pronunciation, but without their efforts, foreign teachers would have a more difficult time.
I quite agree that Chinese teachers work really hard. I've seen my wife, a local, at work and in action as well as I have seen many others. My point has been that these teachers should've been our "right hands", and our assistants in the process. Given the numbers of foreign teachers that've come and/or wanted to come to this country, there could've been a different arrangement, but it was not. With the new local policies and traditionalizm, we have been pushed aside. We aren't allowed into academic management positions and it's apparently in the regulations as well, and then we aren't to teach the basics of the language either. Would you say that a good foundation is a good begining to the house?

Cheers and beers to selling the language :)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Oral English Experts? -- englishgibson -- 2010-07-11
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Oral English Experts?

Go to another board -