TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Experience with Korean Students?
Liz - 2010-07-17

I have been teaching Koreans (tutoring one-on-one or in small groups) for several years now. The information by the previous poster is accurate. They are usually wonderful students, and very thankful to be learning English with a native English speaker. They are very respectful, and I have not encountered any problems teaching male or female students (I am female and all of my students are adults, aged 20-50 years old. Some of my students are dedicated to doing their homework, while others are not. Most of them are working full time jobs and may have children, so their free time for studying at home is very restricted.

Specific areas of difficulty for Koreans learning English are:

- pronunciation and intonation (in general, their English language studies in school in Korea typically did not focus on speaking, and were taught by Korean teachers, rather than native English speakers. As I understand it, this is now in the process of changing, and the schools in Korea are requiring English speakers to have native or near-native speaking ability)
-sentence structure (they are not used to the SVO structure of English)
-pronunciation of "l" vs. "r"
-pronunciation of "f" vs. "p"
-enunciating the final "s" on words
-usage of the articles "a", "an", "the"

Messages In This Thread
Experience with Korean Students? -- A -- 2010-07-16
Re: Experience with Korean Students? -- Liz -- 2010-07-17
Re: Experience with Korean Students? -- ann anzano -- 2010-07-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Experience with Korean Students?

Go to another board -