TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Tai'an, China
Jeff Walsh - 2010-07-19

Thinking of working in Tai'an, China? (Tai'an is in Shandong Province next to Mount Taishan)

I've been here 2 years.....Let me give you the "pros and cons":

Pros: If you are looking for the "real China", this is it. Lots of history here. Confucius was born in nearby Qufu and his philosophy permeates the thinking in this region to this day. Young and old still hold Confucius in high regard. Mount Tai is considered a sacred mountain that all Chinese aspire to climb in their lifetime. Very popular with the Chinese and an ever-growing popularity with expats.

Lots of jobs for English teachers in every age group. Freelancers can make a lucrative salary without even trying. Most schools have 1 -5 foreign teachers. You are definitely considered the "foreign expert" and will be given a lot of autonomy in the classroom. If you are a Chinese learner and/ or a future "sinologist"- this is a good place to practice your Chinese. The air is clean with mountain fresh air. Taxis are cheap (6 rmb will get you pretty far in Tai'an). The Chinese are very friendly here...I smile and shake hands with babies and wave at Chinese- like some kind of "country bumpkin".

The Tai'an Youth Hostel is clean and only 1 year old. The staff are friendly anf helpful. They are building a whole "Chinese village" around the Youth Hostel.

Cons: Well, Tai'an is a big small town....so you might not find all the Western amenities that you are looking for. I had to go to 3 different banks to exchange money. There is a McDonalds (now there are 2!). No Starbucks. No Pizza Hut (soon).. This town attracts a lot of "religious-types". (If religion is not your thing- then you might want to go elsewhere).

Good town for married folk and retirees.... "20-something" and "30-something" foreign teachers and students who end up here- end up going out of town almost every weekend. Or they leave. There are a few expats (30 to 50). (Looking for a night club? A bar? There are a couple. But go out early....the sidewalks seem to roll up at 9 p.m.) For people this would be a good tourist destination- not a place to live and work. It is quite unusual that Tai'an has its own brewery and beer - yet no bars! (Actually there are a couple bars, KTVs and 1 nightclub. Taishan Beer made in the Taishan Brewery is served in mainly in the restaurants).

Messages In This Thread
Tai'an, China -- Jeff Walsh -- 2010-07-19
Re: Tai'an, China -- TheTruth -- 2010-09-08
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Tai'an, China

Go to another board -