TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Certification
englishgibson - 2010-07-29
In response to Certification (Justin)

Justin, I don't know where you are, but if you are looking for "logic" on mainland China you're in a wrong country. The recent trend requiring "certifications" is, in fact, debatable. In attempts to look professional, some local employers are advertising themselves and that's my take on the topic. 10 years back, few employers would dare to ask for such qualifications as they do today, but let's blame the supply of "teachers" to the country and the internet that locals have learn how to use. Also, my observation is that there are more academic products today than there were, say, 10 years ago on mainland China. Some of these academic products do require higher qualifications, and it's agreeable to me that, for example, a Brithish Columbia affilated school on mainland seeks some BC certified teachers in China. Questioning these kind of "affiliations" of foreign parent companies or academic programs is another story and foreign teachers should check their employment offers well out, because there are just too many unscrupulous employers with some substandard approach to education and that even if it's advertised as "western". Few or I'd say no, foreigners are allowed to tamper with the educational field on mainland.

With regards to our fine status of "Foreign Experts" which in my view is incredibly broad and so unjustifiable, there're varieties of certifications that'd put us into the same category. What Cunning Linguist has mentioned on the topic of the certification is quite correct and we should keep in mind that there're really two divisions of foreign teachers on mainland China; one division for specialty subjects with some appropriate certification and one divison for English language that really requires any degree with a teaching English as a second language cert only. But if you are to teach English as a major at any mainland Uni i'd say you should have majored in the language as well. Remember that some local academic products and their goals are so unclear one may only wonder what is required from the teacher too.

Staying on the topic of certification, I'd like to come back to the word "logic" that Justin has mentioned in his original post. I am so intrigued by the local attitudes on what qualifications and experiences we should have. One well qualified could come with a decade of experience, but still s/he would have to follow some ridiculous standards that don't make sense and are so much against whatever s/he has learnt and experienced before. Moreover, s/he may have to get qualified for the fine "Foreign Expert" status prior to assuming the illuminating post that s/he has signed into. Yes, s/he may have to be tested by the local authorities as there're such requirements to "certify" the Foreign Experts on mainland. Mind you this Chinese Foreign Experts examination is as hilarious as it can possibly get. This test is unarguably written by the local experts of English language that want not only to see your abilities in Chinglish and their local culture but also in other international cultures. Then, the local experts examine whether you are psycologically fit to perform the job before you can obtain the honorable Foreign Expert Certificate on mainland. The bottom line here is that whatever you have learnt/experienced in your homeland and other countries ironically, may not be just enough for the job you've signed in for. However, to my knowledge there aren't any real foreign experts that've not been issued this fine FEC status on mainland and that even though they may have failed the local examination. One of my collegues has failed the test and he still is working :) I bet there may be some other reasons behind this testing, but I wouldn't put my finger on this one. It's probably about the logic of the local authorities.

Cheers and beers to the certification we need to do our fine job anywhere

Messages In This Thread
Certification -- Justin -- 2010-07-27
Re: Certification -- englishgibson -- 2010-07-29
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Certification

Go to another board -