TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: English names and attendance
englishgibson - 2010-08-07
In response to English names and attendance (Justin)

Justin, it's so difficult to call the local students by their real names on mainland China. It's much easier in Hong Kong where many have their "westernized" first names. If you are familiar with the Chinese lanugage(s), you may have an easy ride in classrooms, but if you don't you'll have troubles pronouncing the local names. Moreover, it may waste your classroom time with students and even get you in trouble. A few years back, I called some Cantonese fella Xiao Lei, but it came out as "f*ck you" somehow in the local language.

Having said that, I would pass this issue on to the local management of schools and suggest them to set the students up with some reasonable names, not necesserily English. One simple name is that should be chosen, not "first, middle and last name" as that may be a way too long, too difficult to pronounce as well as uneasy to remember if you have many students. We all should work to make our and students' lives easier which will most likely be more efficient. By the way, there're dictionaries for names, but if local managers are helpful and school better organized (which I doubt) you'll solve the name issue quick enough.

Cheers and beers to names that really do not have to be English but should be too "stupid" :)

Messages In This Thread
English names and attendance -- Justin -- 2010-08-04
Re: English names and attendance -- englishgibson -- 2010-08-07
Re: English names and attendance -- Justin P. -- 2010-08-07
Re: English names and attendance -- English Names ? Hahaha ! -- 2010-08-05
Re: English names and attendance -- Justin P. -- 2010-08-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: English names and attendance

Go to another board -