TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Leaving in a week...
Justin P. - 2010-08-17

Well, I'm leaving on the 24th. I have my completed physical (filled using Chinese embassy documents), passport, visa, 700元, and my degree should be here soon. My suitcase is already mostly packed: I have 3 dress jackets, about 10 dress shirts, about 10 ties, 2 pairs of dress shoes, socks, 5 pairs of dress pants, casual wear, daily necessities, and lots of OTC medicine (including A.D.). Lots of other small things. As I sit here looking at my mostly full suitcase, it hits me. "Holy shit, I'm going to China..."

I have to admit, I'm kind of nervous. I'm arriving on an L visa which will be switched to a Z visa before classes start (else I leave); I expressed that I didn't like that situation but it's a large public university and they say they have an amazing relationship with the foreign affairs bureau there (I won't even have to fly to HK to get my Z). I also personally know 3 teachers there. Certainly it's much more trustworthy than some private school saying "Oh yes, we will get it for you, don't worry, but you still have to work while we process it." Still, it's something I swore I would never do (arrive with an L). I've spoken with foreign teachers that have worked there (through my own private contacts, not the school's) and they say it's not bad but I'm still arriving without a signed contract. That doesn't seem wise and I'm taking my chances. I've heard the apartments are nice and the FTs are treated well but I've never seen pictures of the apartments. It seems I'm doing everything I shouldn't be doing, right?

The only good news is that I won't be alone; I have support already there, waiting for me. One is a pen pal that I've known for more than 15 months. She really helped me find a job but at the last moment all of those jobs fell through (Shenzhen, Qinzhou, Nanning). As a last resort, she asked people at her school for help and landed me a job at her school. I say last resort because she said that, while it's a decent school, I could find a better job than that particular small campus. Honestly speaking, I guess you could say we are more than just friends but we've kept our distance until we could meet in person. Who knows what will happen.

Everything about this trip seems to have some risk involved. I don't know what to expect and I don't know what will happen. Does that sound like an accurate description of China? Through oblivion I charge...

Justin P.

Messages In This Thread
Leaving in a week... -- Justin P. -- 2010-08-17
Re: Leaving in a week... -- JP -- 2010-08-28
Re: Leaving in a week... -- alain1976 -- 2010-08-28
Re: Leaving in a week... -- smiler -- 2010-08-23
Re: Leaving in a week... -- Nick Pellatt -- 2010-08-22
Re: Leaving in a week... -- Justin P. -- 2010-08-22
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Leaving in a week...

Go to another board -