TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Leaving in a week...
JP - 2010-08-24
In response to Re: Leaving in a week... (al76)

Thanks for the great post! I agree, whatever preconceptions I have about the experience are likely very wrong.

I will be in the south. Lets say Haikou. I've heard about the lack of heating; they will even cut the power to students after 11pm, at some places. They don't do that where I work, even to students. I'm hoping to find a small space heater and just use that. I've been told the bedroom is 20 square meters and the living room is the same size so a personal heater should be adequate for that, I hope. I'm actually looking forward to learning to cook; I actually much prefer cooking for myself. Typically I eat alot of vegetables, perhaps some chicken/fish/pork, and lots of fruit. I'm sure I'll get tired of it, though.

Right, "nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there", eh? I've heard it's a rather tame place to live. I don't know of any KTV but I'm sure they have a few. This is more of a "bring the family, swim on the beach, enjoy the sights". Kind of like Hawaii or the Bahamas are in the U.S. I think the streets roll up after dark.

Yah, I probably shouldn't have used the vagabond comment. Really there was no reason to say that, I'm sorry. I have seen some really "relaxed" FT pictures from China, though. I spent a large portion of my life living in SE Georgia where temperatures would regularly reach 105-110 F and rarely drop below 95% humidity. All of my suits are made for hot weather.. but you're probably right. I might be cussing myself before long (at least winter is coming). I do enjoy wearing them, however, they just feel great. Maybe when the folks visit, they'll be carrying back half of my work clothes. I'm sure you know better than I.

Yes, I studied it for 3 years plus 2 years of corresponding with 5+ pen pals. This is actually my primary purpose for moving to China (to try to perfect my study of it). As a mechanical and aerospace engineer, the language would be very useful to me and could result in considerably higher pay. Or not. A gamble, really.

You make a good point, regarding the "tall poppies" comment. I'm assuming you mean being screwed over by the school, if they think I'm rich, correct? I'll read that thread and certainly give it some serious consideration. I'm also taking my favorite (and most worn out) clothes to wear around the house; I could look like a real bum if I wanted to (I mean it, many of those items are falling apart, but I love them).

I've tried my best to learn about life there, especially through the daily lives of my penpals. However, they are not me and things will surely be different. I'll check out the books you recommended. I've already read "Cultureshock" by Eagan/Weiner, "Living Abroad in China" by the Strothers, "Doing Business in China" by Plafker, and "Living in China" by Weiner/Murphy/Li. Even so, I don't think anyone could read enough books to know what to expect. It's all uncertain and unknown for me which makes me feel a bit anxious. On the other hand, I'm not sure anyone could ever really be prepared for this sort of thing...

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

JP

Messages In This Thread
Re: Leaving in a week... -- Justin P. -- 2010-08-23
Re: Leaving in a week... -- al76 -- 2010-08-23
Re: Leaving in a week... -- JP -- 2010-08-24
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Leaving in a week...

Go to another board -