TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Why IS education such a cut throat business in Asia?
American Teacher - 2010-09-05

John: I have been teaching in Eastern Asia since 2007. I have taught in S. Korea, Macau, and the Philippines. Most of my teaching has been with Korean owned and operated companies, so my experiences may be a bit more focused on the Korean side of ESL Teaching. Here is a short summary of the reasons why it is so cut throat to teach ESL in Eastern Asia. Bad economy; too many applicants; no established teaching standards; cultural and anti-foreigner bias; bad teachers and those here only to party, or break the law.

You are dealing with cultures that in many ways are different (not superior or inferior) to those of us from the west. You are not a "teacher" in many peoples eyes unless you are certified in your country. Then there are those who might say that you are never a "true" teacher to all. Just keep in mind that the competition is stiff; some people will like you but some will NEVER like you; your boss may be good, or in some cases, the biggest unethical piece of garbage that ever walked the earth (and there is nothing you can do about it); if you are single, you will find it hard to date in some places, or maybe meet the person of your dreams in others; you will probably earn the equivalent (or less) of a fast food worker in the states.

DO come here to teach and learn about the world, or to marry the person of your dreams (if you are now single, LOL). DO NOT come to earn a lot of money, party all the time, and break laws. Be prepared for bad schools, bad supervisors, bad employment contacts, etc. But be happy if you find otherwise! Good Luck!

Messages In This Thread
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Why IS education such a cut throat business in Asia?

Go to another board -