TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: ESL teaching - what do you recommend for beginning teachers?
Sanguine - 2010-09-20

Umm, hard to give advice here, as I counsel most people who are thinking about coming to China to teach English not to. Maybe 10 years ago I'd have counseled different, and often did, but this is not 1999. Things have changed a lot, but not for the better. Market's too saturated, and finding decent work is harder and harder as schools lower standards and higher more and more green teachers because they cost so much less.

I'd have to advise you against coming to China at least to teach English. I'd suggest Japan if you want my humble opinion. Japan pays far better in general, and there are more opportunities because they have higher standards. You can not work there as a teacher without a degree, unlike in China where many can and do. You won't make any decent money in China, and you're more likely to be screwed than not. Japan is a good overall choice if you have an actual degree, you will have many more legal protections as it's a far less corrupt government, as well as a more developed country. That and you will also be able to save money.

I don't counsel people to come to China anymore. 7, 10 years back I was still doing so, but not anymore. It's just too treacherous here for the inexperienced, and even for the experiences really. Try Japan, it's a much more viable option.

Messages In This Thread
ESL teaching - what do you recommend for beginning teachers? -- Liz -- 2010-09-19
Re: ESL teaching - what do you recommend for beginning teachers? -- Dragonized -- 2010-09-22
Re: ESL teaching - what do you recommend for beginning teachers? -- Sanguine -- 2010-09-20
Re: ESL teaching - what do you recommend for beginning teachers? -- englishgibson -- 2010-09-19
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: ESL teaching - what do you recommend for beginning teachers?

Go to another board -