TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Spying on Students?
Dragonized - 2010-10-17
In response to Re: Spying on Students? (Justin)

Spy on students is wrong from a Western point of view, as a true Libertarian I would be outraged if it happend anywhere in the Good Ole US of A. As a foreigner working in China and being able too actually look at things from a different point of view I realize it isn't any of my business.

How do you really know what Chinese people think? You are just going to generalize with everyone? This shows an innate, inherent prejudice on your part in that you should assume that it's what people want. Since China is still a developing country you should know that these practices haven't been around for very long. We're not exactly doing too much by just speaking on the internet as it is. Yet you just want to think that everyone who is Chinese is okay with this.

You aren't a savior to the Chinese people, and you won't be viewed as such if you tell them how to run their country. Your a guest professional employee, act like one and don't give us a bad name.

No one is trying to act like a savior to anybody as far as I can tell. We're just trying to put forth the fact that unlawful, unjustified practices are going on in China right now. Take for example the coal mine miracle that happened in Chile where not one of the 33 workers died. Now take a look at what is going on in China. I don't know if you read Chinese but if you do you should look at the discussion boards on sohu and netease.com about news articles reporting on tragedies relating to safety, education, business, and general corruption and read the opinions as well as the ideas of Chinese people who post on them. There is an OVERWHELMING majority who feel absolutely disillusioned or fed up with how their society is being run. Don't tell me that those Chinese people's opinions and ideas don't matter.

Now if they spy on you or any other foreign worker then its your business.

How do you know that's not already happening? I worked for a week in China at a place where the clown boss decided it was not only okay to put surveillance cameras in every room, but he would actively watch it and watch what was going on in the classes as personal entertainment. The degrading mindset of people due to the quality of education they have received can be sickening sometimes.

Plus we're talking about college students who share a dorm the size of my bathroom back home in the USA with eight other roommates. Privacy means something totally different in Chinese culture and you as a foreigner don't understand it just how they don't understand our thoughts. Some people can live in China for 10 years and still be totally oblivious to something so simple as that.

I have lost count on how many of my Chinese students telling me how much they admire how people have so much space in the west. Chinese students may not want to talk too much of the better things in other cultures compared to theirs because they are afraid of what may happen to them. Ditto for the employees and the workers. Everyone has a conscious, it's whether you choose to think of things as "the way it is" or whether you still remain true to your own mind that makes the difference of the type of person you are.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Spying on Students? -- Justin -- 2010-10-16
Re: Spying on Students? -- Sanguine -- 2010-10-18
Re: Spying on Students? -- Psychologist -- 2010-10-19
Re: Spying on Students? -- Dragonized -- 2010-10-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Spying on Students?

Go to another board -