TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re re: Georgia volunteering programme
Sanguine - 2010-10-25
In response to re: Georgia volunteering programme (Visas Schmisas)

Upon reading the link you provided I would have to say don't do it. This is a type of volunteer/farm you out program, and the person hiring you is dipping into your profits, no doubt in a big way. Let's look at the job itself.

You are being offered 300 US a month, which is a mere pittance. This green heart travel claims to be non profit, yet they are being funded and making money somehow. It tried to make itself sound like it's connected to the government, however it actually says it is part of the center for cultural exchange, located in Chicago. The connection to an official sounding name, and then it's official sounding location mentioned right after, give the sense that it's somehow connected to a government agency, and therefore more legit. However it actually is no such thing, it's a private organization, and I would almost guarantee that non profit label they used for themselves isn't taking into account fees being paid them by foreign schools in the form of your pay and living expenses. Who is paying this 300 dollar "stipend" to you anyhow? "Green heart" or the school you're working for? If Green Heart, then what's happening is that green heart is getting the "real" pay that the job offers, and giving you the rest. However no matter who is paying you, green heart is getting money off of your hard work, do not doubt that.

Then there's the accommodations, which are basically you living with some total strangers for up to a year. Green heart pays the family something, and likely pockets what is left, as the school likely pays green heart money for your accommodation. No doubt it is enough for you to find acceptable "private" housing. Being the cheapskates that such outfits are, they set you up with some private family instead so they can pocket more cash. They then sell it to you as a chance to "immerse yourself in the local culture". Nice. These type of outfits, arranging English teaching jobs for foreigners overseas are real cash cows for agents. These people work as both recruiters and employment agents, and they dip into your profits more than once, first via your salary, then via living arrangements and other expenses no doubt.

These types of set ups advertise themselves as "volunteer" programs, and I'm well familiar with such outfits. An "agent" such as this one sets up relationships with schools in another country, and promises them teachers. The schools often pays the agent a fee for every teacher. Then the school pays the agent, who then pays you. They then decide how large a piece of the pie you get, which in this case is only a morsel. The agent may also handle living arrangements, getting even more money which they can divvy up as they please. By calling it a "volunteer" program, they can justify the outrageously low salary, as it's volunteer work so they call it a "stipend", and they make you feel more like a humanitarian in the process for doing it. However the real truth is that the work is no different then any other English teaching job you could find in the country of Georgia, except that you're getting paid a lot less because middle men are sucking away your salary.

Don't work for volunteer outfits doing ESL teaching anywhere in the world. It's just someone placing themselves between you and the school, andprofiting off your hard work, trust me on this. Find yourself a good, higher paying ESL job in Georgia, or in another country, it's not hard, just try google.

I guarantee you can find work in this same country that pays much more, because it's you applying directly to a school that has not contracted out to an agent. My advice, don't take this job, unless you have no problem being used, paid peanuts, and living with total strangers for a year. Trust me, don't fall for this "volunteer" gig, find your own job, working directly for the school. You'll be happier, wealthier, and wiser if you do. Bye bye.

Messages In This Thread
re: Georgia volunteering programme -- Visas Schmisas -- 2010-10-20
Re re: Georgia volunteering programme -- Sanguine -- 2010-10-25
Re re: Georgia volunteering programme -- Visas Schmisas -- 2010-10-26
Re re: Georgia volunteering programme -- Sanguine -- 2010-10-27
Re re: Georgia volunteering programme -- Visas Schmisas -- 2010-10-27
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re re: Georgia volunteering programme

Go to another board -