TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re No future in ESL/TEFL
Visas Schmisas - 2010-11-01
In response to Re No future in ESL/TEFL (Sanguine)

As for making a career out of teaching ESL, big mistake, as this is no career, especially for someone as young as you. Like silverboy said, for those younger than 35, this is more a waste of your time then anything else. It won't help you much if any to get work when you return to the state, or where ever you live, not really. Best you find something more of substance until you get older and have some other form of decent work experience under your belt. Coming here, for someone as young as yourself, it won't do much good for your resume or your "career" whatever that ends up being. It won't be in ESL, that's for certain.

@ Sanguine, I am rapidly finding out what you and Silverboy have said to be very, very true!

I thought that learning Chinese while out there might be useful, but seems it is as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Then I tried to justify my experiences by the fact it has opened my eyes, but that doesn't help to get a job, does it?

I agree the career you have won't be in ESL. Of two or three people I know back in the UK, one has her own beauty salon, one works as a computer operator, another as a call centre assistant. And back to the 8-5 grindstone, monday to friday, with all the delights (sic) of living in the UK...quite a comedown after a few years in the PRC of easy living as an FT.

Messages In This Thread
Re No future in ESL/TEFL -- Dragonized -- 2010-10-27
Re No future in ESL/TEFL -- Tonya Briggs -- 2010-10-28
Re No future in ESL/TEFL -- Visas Schmisas -- 2010-10-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re No future in ESL/TEFL

Go to another board -