TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Marie's Webcam - ESL discussion
Daisylover - 2005-04-08
In response to webcam teaching - ESL discussion (marie)

Hi.

If you decide to go solo, I think that this could pay off for you if you spend enough time recruiting students. They are your bread and water, hopefully someday morphing to oysters and wine. If you can devote your time to building a client base which will give you good references and therefore more business, you will be successful. Then the whole set-up will pay for itself and you can make a good deal of money as well. But you can't just post ads on the internet and wait for people to contact you. You must also advertise at colleges, coffeehouses, etc, and really pursue it. Tell everyone you know about your business.

Furthermore, your classes need to stand out from everyone else's, so figure out why students should pay you instead of an older, estabilished institution. This, or these, are your selling points, and should be used when marketing your classes. If you sound like you are doing this to just make money, that will probably come across to your potential students. While making money is a great goal to have, you should also love what you are doing. So convey that love of teaching in addition to the other strengths you have as a teacher, such as Business English, Conversational English, etc.

I have heard of some places that actually hire you to teach for them on-line, but I don't know much about them. If you find out anything, would you be kind enough to let me know?

Also, can you give me any advice on obtaining a job in the UK? I am a newly certified TESOL American that loves London.

Thank you and good luck.

Messages In This Thread
ESL online -- Garry Andres -- 2004-05-17
Re: ESL online -- Robin Day -- 2004-05-17
Re: ESL online -- Robin Day -- 2004-05-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Marie's Webcam - ESL discussion

Go to another board -