TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Yinchuan Aston & wendy_h80
Sanguine - 2010-11-04

Below is an Advert for Aston. What they are listing as teaching packages is not what I spoke of before, as I have seen as many as 5 different packages, for as little as 3 months, to as much as 1 year. Some packages also had a different amount of days and hours, the two below only vary in the length of the contract, and the completion bonus. Please note what a joke the completion bonus is for either contract, very low.

Also I find it strange that they ask for teachers "23" years or older, then go on to ask for 2 or more years teaching experience, and a college degree. Who is going to have a college degree, and 2 years teaching experience by age 23? Doogie Houser?

You may also notice that there is "zero" flight reimbursement, and that the "bonus" you are getting is your flight reimbursement. Really? You must be kidding. I don't know about anyone else, but round trip airfare for 4,000 yuan? Where are you going, the province next door? 4,000 yuan won't pay for international round trip to very many locations. What if you only work the 6 month contract, what kind of "one way" ticket is 1,200 yuan going to get you, let alone a round trip ticket?

In the last paragraph, which would usually be called the "fine print" which people too often fail to read, the advert states that you must finish a full "25" hour a week contract, even though the contract they posted information about, which is for 1 year, says you only have to work 20 hours a week. Is it just me, or is there a difference between 20 and 25? Is it that these people think we can not read, or that we simply won't bother to? Basically you will be working 25 hours a week if you want that reimbursement, even though the advertised job is for 20.

They speak a little about contracts that are not posted in this advert, some of the packages I mentioned earlier in another post, such as 3 day work weeks, and varying benefits. However with these positions you will of course get no reimbursement. You also won't get a lot of other perks. Why on earth would you work for these people at 20, excuse me 25 hours a week, when you can work for a public university, be paid as much, work less hours, sometimes less then 15 a week even, and get far better benefits? Isn't part of working in the private sector the chance to make more money, not less?

Ah, and at the very end, the icing on the cake, all contracts include "shared" housing. Yippie, so on top of deceptive hiring practices, working 25 hours instead of 20, hours that likely won't pay over time, I get to share my home with someone else. Ah to be young, in college, and living in a dorm. I think not.

Do I really need to tell anyone my advice on what to do if offered a job by Aston?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aston English School has over 60 schools across China and has employed over 1500 foreign teachers since it started in 1996. Beginning with one school in Dalian, Aston now has schools all over China, from Dalian in the north to Xiamen in the south and Xining in the west. Students of all ages come to our schools to prepare for exams, study abroad, or for the fun of learning English.
We are now hiring for 2010 Fall Term beginning in early September for our private English language school in Yinchuan.

If you are interested, please contact Aston Recruiting Department directly
at: cdutton@astonschool.com
Or call Michael Wisner in Seattle, USA at:
* USA # 1-503-320-3573
* Uk # 44-020-8123-1277 (Reaches him in the USA)
* Aus# 61-02-8003-4840 (Reaches him in the USA)
* NZ #64-03-669-0858 (Reaches him in the USA)
The best times to reach Michael is between 9am to 4Pm local time.
Also check out our website at
http://www.astonrecruiting.com/locations.html

Qualifications:
We require:
*Native speakers of English at least 23 years old
*Nationalities preferred are Canadian, British, American, Australian,
Irish, and New Zealander
*College degree in any subject
*TEFL Certificate
*Two years of working/teaching experience after graduate
*Must enjoy teaching children classes
Compensation:
September Starts
Six Months 20 Hrs/Wk
Salary 5,000RMB/Month
Hours/Week 20
Teaching Days/Wk 4
OT 100 RMB/hr for over 20 hours per week
Completion Bonus 1,200RMB
Paid Vacation Days 4

One Year 20 Hrs/Wk
Salary 5,000 RMB/month
Hours/Week 20
Teaching Days/Wk 4
OT 100 RMB/hr for over 20 hours per week
Completion Bonus 4,000RMB
Medical Insurance Yes
Paid Vacation Days 8

Note- All bonuses are intended as your flight reimbursement. To get a full flight reimbursement you must make a commitment for at least one year and do the full 25 hour contract. Lesser contracts allow you more flexibility such as the 15 hour contract only working 3 days per week, but you compromise on the bonus. Also note that leave days with Aston are paid. All contracts include shared housing, Internet access and Chinese classes.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Yinchuan Aston & wendy_h80 -- Sanguine -- 2010-11-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Yinchuan Aston & wendy_h80

Go to another board -