TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re One croc policy
cunning inguist - 2010-11-12

I wouldn't claim any expertise in relation to crocodiles, but alligators are a protected species in China. As for eating almost anything, it's not surprising considering the food shortages in the past, Mao's agrarian reforms, and his bizarre policy of encouraging peasants to shoot birds who might eat the seeds.

It got me thinking about how emperors of China would have coped with the various rules and regulations that exist today. In my course on British culture I asked students to compare Henry VIII and his six wives, with one emperor who had 300 concubines. We had an interesting and fun debate about this one, as I queried why this emperor stuck at 300 rather than 365, (or 366 for a leap year). Or was the calendar different in those days?

How some of these dynasties lasted so long, considering the emperor may have been busy with pleasures of the flesh is possibly a sign of good delegation skillls! And I do wonder if today, those influential people who are 'outed' for their carnal activities, are just following a tradition of the rich and powerful?

Messages In This Thread
Re One croc policy -- cunning inguist -- 2010-11-12
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re One croc policy

Go to another board -