TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › A Question of Inspiration - ESL discussion
The Arrogant One - 2005-04-12

For many writers, the question of atmosphere is paramount to the cause of creativity an absolute must in providing the necessary inspiration. For me it has usually been found in a coffee house. In my time, Ive patronized coffee houses the world over those of Austria, Italy, Israel, Brazil, Mxico, Japan, Canada, and the USA, just to name some. There, Ive sampled one blend after another some of which that have been great, some others not so hotso. But, whom am I trying to deceive? My coffee house excursions have rarely been for the brew alone; theyve also been to sample the ambiance a quantity Ive found mandatory in abetting my creative efforts as a writer. And, guess what? It has actually worked over these past 15 years in that over 70% of my initial ideas and drafts have been successfully completed in one coffee house or another. This year, its been Petes in West Los Angeles.

What Im trying to impress upon you, my dear ESL colleagues, is that in order to be your true, creative self, you need the stimulus gained from your surroundings to spark that special energy (enthusiasm) to get the job done. In this respect, a school that ignores its teaching staff rather than recognize them as a key source of its day-to-day productivity, not only stifles their enthusiasm but also denies the student body a collaboration with the one source that engenders their continued interest in their studies. Sadly enough, Ive taught in far too many private ESL schools where a teachers sole rapport with the management is the broad smile issued on receipt of ones bi-monthly paycheck. So, you can see what I mean by ambiance. As the coffee house abets my creative efforts, a school must likewise offer an atmosphere conducive to both the presentation and ingestion of the coursework.

To all you ESL school and agents thereof, WHEREVER you may be located: Despite the innumerable complaints appearing on this Board over this, that, or the other, the one obvious factor lacking in ESL today seems to be consideration that toward both teachers and students alike. Granted, as in any other business enterprise, the goal in ESL is to profit, but greed and lack of consideration thereof should NEVER serve as an means to this end. Also, far too many arguments over the issue of racial bias and age prejudice have been concealing the true purpose of both management and instructor that of promoting only the highest educational values while satisfying our needs as both academicians and businessmen alike. Similarly, in my choice of coffee house, I seek only that perfect blend of coffee and creativity in short, a place where I can sit in peace for a few hours each day, sip an exotic brew, and write my f*&@!#^ stories!

Viva la Caf! Viva ESL!

The Arrogant One

Messages In This Thread
A Question of Inspiration - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-04-12
yeah sure - ESL discussion -- the the -- 2005-04-12
Spelling / Definition - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-04-13
chastened - ESL discussion -- the the -- 2005-04-13
PARAMETER - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-04-13
Death match - ESL discussion -- JO 753 -- 2005-04-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › A Question of Inspiration - ESL discussion

Go to another board -