TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re re: Teach and Learn Georgia - liars, hypocrites, pretenders!!!!!
shawna - 2011-01-16

it's interesting that i've learned about the recruiting bit on here. until i dug a little, i never even realized it was a job unto itself...which is odd after having taken many esl jobs...but it's interesting...my american friend has a uni there (has a relationship with 'st. johns uni', good stuff), so it would be nice to see some ppl headed in that sort of direction if any at all, as one poster pointed out. i think i'll ask my harvard-educated friend that is the 'bestest'totally honest and will take no investors if it means compromising the integrity of his idea of what an education should beif he has any room to accommodate an intern or volunteer under the spectrum of tefl. even if he says no, I now wonder if other more reputable unis and maybe places like ptg (which i never depended on for housing and such but were at least honest about pay and hours, even if they were paranoid about teachers taking private studentsor stealing theirs to be sureand so pawned their all-female teachers against one another, contributing to a super catty-type environment; i noticed their post for a job opening, but although honest about pay and hours, they would most certainly smell a venerability with a housing request and so put a teacher in a crappy apt) could hire a person that would actually have something good to say about their experiences. fyi, Ill reiterate, that I had a 75% nightmare situation in tbilisi, but it was a sort of situation that would be unique to females and likely, unique to me (since i was really, quite nave about any- and everything). some of the other stuff, well, I think it would be sad for open-minded ppl to miss out onthe cultural stuff that bonds ppl over a large table full of grilled beef and cheap vodka as well as the very affordable opera house prices (for traditional dancing events and such and well, opera, if thats your thing).

also, do you have a link for your kenyian volunteer gig? kenya sounds frightening, but its surprising that you were totally douchey and now turn out to care about the world. would love to see some links or even general infovery cool indeed.
i kind of understand how you want ppl to avoid shiity situations...thanks for your post, i was really just trying to understand the hostility, but if that's how you and your friends increase the quality of life for other teachers, it's commendable.

and yes, now im curious about the funding of this project in georgiaI think Ill send out a couple of emails and see how uniform they may or may not be. yes, now i am curious, very curious.i would like to think that there arent big-bellied assholes laughing about their staff while stuffing their faces, but it is most certainly a possibility, yes, it most certainly is.

p.s. i am not a weasel; contrary, i am actually very nice.

Messages In This Thread
Re re: Teach and Learn Georgia - liars, hypocrites, pretenders!!!!! -- shawna -- 2011-01-16
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re re: Teach and Learn Georgia - liars, hypocrites, pretenders!!!!!

Go to another board -