TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › re: frustration in job hunting/TEFL
THE LAWYER - 2011-01-17

I am sure silverboy will like this post, and be able to comment.

It has now been just over 3 months since I came back from China to the EU (exact location undisclosed to protect my privacy, I hope you can all agree)

I am finding the unemployment tough, to say the least. It seems the eurozone is on a downward spiral, what with talks of a two tier euro, in some countries 30 percent unemployment and those not in education, China buying up certain countries EU debt, et al.

I rather cockily expected to walk into a well paid job, but that hasn't happened, nor has being able to find even a mediocre job such is the downturn of things. But the job I was offered before I left China I wasn't keen on, I don't like teaching kids at all, I know that is not for me. What I do like is one to one teaching, or mentoring, and I feel that is something that I could do, and be good at. Often times when I was teaching one to one, the students would open up to me about their problems, and I would try and listen and help as I could, so maybe counselling/mentoring is a good path for me to follow, but unsure.

MY point is: I don't see much future in TEFL in China, at the public level especially, nor do I like the increasingly nationalist government or much found xenophobia. That is not to say I am averse to working in Asia. I'd relish the idea of working in somewhere like Taiwan or Malaysia, the environment seems especially beautiful there. I also find overseas Chinese a bit more open minded and not as glazen eyed and indoctrinated. HK/Macau would be bottom of my list, as it is essentially just two provinces of the PRC now.

What I really want to know is, does anyone have any experience of working in Malaysia/Singapore/Taiwan. I am not interested in South Korea, for obvious reasons, nor Japan for similar nightmare stories I have heard. I also have no desire to return working for low pay in China.

would appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Regards
THE LAWYER

Messages In This Thread
re: frustration in job hunting/TEFL -- THE LAWYER -- 2011-01-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › re: frustration in job hunting/TEFL

Go to another board -