TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract
Tom - 2011-03-09

I agree a degree does not imply your a good or "qualified " teacher. I know a few mates from the UK with no degree. But, they are ok

Yes, there's just not enough FT's with degrees wanting to teach in China to meet China's demands, the authorities know this and consequently the police so in the main non-degree-holding FT's are unofficially acceptable. Most sensible FT's find gigs in better Asian countries-I have noticed that many provinces have of late responded to this shortage by ignoring the ageist policy of getting shot of foreigners when they get to 50 or 60. I know of a few places where perky 70 year old can teach and even find himself a tidy girlfriend. For myself I stay in China because I really can't get my head around learning another language-anyway, maybe nobody else would have me.

I just want to add what I think are the most important considerations for new people looking for work in China-those are Accommodation, Accommodation and Accommodation. You are most probably not going to enjoy the tiresome aspect of teaching so you do need a self-contained decent retreat to lick your wounds, relax and entertain your girlfriend or any guest without let nor hindrance. When you ask them to send you a copy of the contract you will have to cross-examine them a bit about your flat.

What does it mean when they say free accommodation, as if there is a flat with your name on it already waiting? It often means that when you get to China tired out after a long journey they will hump you around all sorts of private landlords. You will then be asked to sign a lease and give them thousands of Yuan and you will be held responsible for ageing washing machine etceteras that always seems to break down when you have moved in. The landlord will have an agreement with your company to fix the machine or buy the landlord another one. The free flat is just that the company agrees to pay you 1500 RMB a month even though your rent is 2000. At the end of your contract the landlord will go over the flat with a fine toothcomb and say you owe him 5000 RMB for damage you haven't done. Your school/company will be more than happy to extract this from you for him if your original deposit doesn't meet the amount. So, you do have to be satisfied that this free flat is really free and no money is asked from you. Also can your girlfriend (the one you will quickly get-don't take coals to Newcastle) come and go whenever she pleases, or is your flat situated in a teachers' compound where they lock the gate at 10.30? All of these things they omit to tell you (unless you get it in black and white) until you arrive.

Some things they should provide like 'expert certificate' are not worth getting your knickers in a twist about, even some fairly good employers like to hang onto it.

It often does not matter if your students dislike you as long as your hours are not more than twenty. If your flat is good, you are happy with the pay (you must get holiday pay) the area is okay, your girlfriend is pretty-what more do you want?

Messages In This Thread
China: The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- Raoul Duke -- 2010-03-18
Re: China: The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- dbrownridge -- 2013-02-20
Re: China: The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- Mancunian S -- 2013-02-21
Re: China: The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- Curious -- 2013-02-21
Re: China: The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- Dragonized -- 2013-02-22
Re: China: The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- San Migs -- 2013-02-21
Re: China: The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- Dragonized -- 2013-02-22
Re The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- Kanadian -- 2011-03-22
Re The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- Tom -- 2011-03-08
Re: Re The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- Raoul F. Duke -- 2011-12-21
Re The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- Kanadian -- 2011-03-09
Re The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- Tom -- 2011-03-09
Re: Re The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- Raoul F. Duke -- 2011-12-21
tax ememption for expats in China -- Kanadian -- 2011-03-06
Re tax ememption for expats in China -- Unhappy Camper -- 2011-03-07
Re tax ememption for expats in China -- Kanadian -- 2011-03-07
Re tax ememption for expats in China -- Unhappy Camper -- 2011-03-07
Re tax ememption for expats in China -- Tom -- 2011-03-07
Re tax ememption for expats in China -- Kanadian -- 2011-03-08
Re tax ememption for expats in China -- Tom -- 2011-03-08
Re tax ememption for expats in China -- Kanadian -- 2011-03-07
Re tax ememption for expats in China -- Crap School Spotter -- 2011-03-07
Re tax ememption for expats in China -- Tom -- 2011-03-08
Re tax ememption for expats in China -- Kanadian -- 2011-03-08
Re tax ememption for expats in China -- Crap School Spotter -- 2011-03-08
Re tax ememption for expats in China -- Kanadian -- 2011-03-09
Re tax ememption for expats in China -- Lip Stick -- 2011-03-09
Re tax ememption for expats in China -- Kanadian -- 2011-03-09
Re tax exemption for expats in China -- Kanadian -- 2011-03-07
Re: The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- KJR FM -- 2010-03-21
Re: The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- englishgibson -- 2010-03-19
Re: The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract -- Raoul Duke -- 2010-03-20
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re The Basics of Evaluating a Chinese Employment Contract

Go to another board -