TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › My advice - ESL discussion
RhenoThai - 2005-04-27

Catherine, my advice to you is to not take the course. It's probably not accredited anywhere, and it doesn't offer the 120 hours of in-class study or the 6 hours of teaching that other TESOL mills offer. Take it from a guy who 'learned the hard way' after dropping 1600 USD on TEFL Intl's TESOL, you can find schools in Korea and Taiwan that will give you training for FREE AND reimburse you for your airfare! That's a good deal if the schools are good. I'd check into it. Don't make the mistakes I did. I came to Thailand (mistake #1) to take the TESOL course. I got a job in Thailand (mistake #2) teaching for about 700 USD a month. Because I chose to stay in Thailand and teach, I won't get reimbursed for my airfare (mistake #3), as almost no schools here reimbuse for airfare. With these mistakes in mind, here is what I would do IF I only had a time machine: I'd at the very least take the TESOL course in Korea, the country that pays teachers probably 3x more, on average, than they are paid in Thailand. If I'd done that a year ago, I'd now be getting my airfare back AND I'd have about 12K more USD in my bank account. I'd also choose a school that offers free TESOL training in the first place, so I'd save yet another 1600. Live and learn!

Messages In This Thread
My advice - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-04-27
Hmmmmm.... - ESL discussion -- Rheno Chinese -- 2005-04-27
TESOL Course--What I SHOULD have done - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-04-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › My advice - ESL discussion

Go to another board -