TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › You care, Jim. No one else in Thailand does. - ESL discussion
RhenoThai - 2005-05-04

When I came here, I was like you. I thought I could touch down in Thailand and actually help its students learn English. One year later I know I was deluded. The sad fact is Thai students don't care one way or the other if their English teachers are any good. Most aren't going to college, and those that are don't need to worry about their GPA. This comes from the fact that university rectors here don't weigh students' GPAs that heavily when considering candidates for admission. Right now GPA counts for less than 10% when a candidate is considered. Yeah, you read right--TEN PERCENT! So, is it any surprise Thai students like to sleep or yak so much in class?

Thankfully, university rectors are trying to change this sad fact. They're phasing in a policy that gives the GPA 40% weight. They WERE going to do that this year in one fell swoop, but parents and students bitched about it so much the rectors backed off and implemented a slower phase-in.

My point is--if Thai students don't have to give a rat's ass about English while in high school, and the parents/schools/administrators go along if it makes the students 'happy', there is no use making sure you are a 'top notch' teacher if you are going to teach in Thailand. You will only waste your effort and your money, and get angry with yourself for believing in the beginning that studens here DO care. Also, if you get a TESOL here you won't get reimbursed for the flight to come take the course, so it makes no sense to do so when there are places like Korea or Taiwan out there.

Nobody cares except for you, ArjanJim....If any readers out there want to teach in Thailand, don't play the fool. Bring a REAL bachelor's degree (any ol' degree will do), get a fake certificate on Koh Sarn Road, and go get a job. It's as easy as that. I wish someone would have told ME this about 13 months ago. I would have saved 1600 USD and been just fine.

RhenoThai

Messages In This Thread
NEWBIE NEEDING SOME DESPERATE ADVICE!!!` - ESL discussion -- Newbie -- 2005-04-14
What you need to do - ESL discussion -- I shoulda got a fake cert first -- 2005-05-02
Loser teachers with fake degrees - ESL discussion -- AjarnJim -- 2005-05-03
Who said anything about a fake DEGREE - ESL discussion -- SiamSap -- 2005-05-03
a wad of professional development - ESL discussion -- AjarnJim -- 2005-05-03
Except there is only one problem, Jim - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-15
You care, Jim. No one else in Thailand does. - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-04
To AjarnJim - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-03
Pulling back a bit... - ESL discussion -- AjarnJim -- 2005-05-03
I say again...... - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-04
Try China - ESL discussion -- Jeff -- 2005-04-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › You care, Jim. No one else in Thailand does. - ESL discussion

Go to another board -