TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Anyone heard of Hampson English, anyone here of alternative career paths in china?
Crap School Spotter - 2011-05-26

Find a job in an WOFE. Wholly Owned Foreign Enterprise that does not employ Chinese, does not have Chinese HR, or even Chinese security. I work in a Dutch owned company that deals in advanced sciences. They took advantage of cheap supplies and a land deal, but don't employ any Chinese people. My office is in Beijing, but I work in an office and not at the plant. I have found that in China, it makes a lot of sense if you are from the USA as an example, to work for another nationality other than Chinese. Such as maybe a Canadian working for a German owned firm in Beijing. The dynamics somehow change and a balance is struck and without the Chinese messing everything up in-house life is really so much better. In our office, no Chinese are allowed in. No sales, no cleaning people, nothing. In fact, the business licenses are in the hall in a locked glass case so that if anyone from the government wants to inspect them, they can do it and be gone in 1 minute. Not even mail or packages are allowed access here. That cuts down the spying attempts and the snooping.

Finance is a waste of time. Too many Chinese in-house and too much BS. Translating, its been done 1001 ways, and it is a dead and saturated market and it is not lucrative. Engineering...maybe. I know a man from France now that gets paid 30,000 RMB per month, 10,000 housing allowance per month, car, schooling is paid for, for his kid, and other perks. His job? He goes all over China and sometimes Asia, working on Chinese trains. He handles the power plant aspect for the trains being recharged. That's it. He works for a French firm. They do have Chinese involvement though.

Bio Tech which is what I do now, is growing and hot anywhere and in China, it is hot since we sell them products and under our contracts they cannot reverse engineer anything we make. I doubt that they could anyway.

General aviation (private jets) is about to open in China. That will be hot.

Luxury goods is going to be hot in China and it is just getting off the ground now. The job you want there would be something like country manager for China.

Education support is hot: M&A with western based schools as an example. There is no money in teaching, but there is money in education.

This is something else to think about too...What everyone wants is what is called a PORTABLE OCCUPATION AND TRADE. Teaching is one such example. In other words, you can take your job anywhere and make a living. Teaching is fine, assuming that you can control the shots. Once you lose control of the game, it is game over with regard to wages, terms, conditions, etc.

If you can write code, do programming, etc., and have a lap top, you can live anywhere and make a good living under your own terms.
Affiliate sales is big money if you can grab the right product. You don't need to make it, own it, or know a damn thing about it. Don't forget about things like Click Bank, Google Adsense, and other online methods of making money.

Teaching online with your own program is good if you have enough students to support it. You could be on the moon and earn a living teaching from home.

People need to think about self-reliance and how to beat the game.

Monster.com is a joke

Try Linkedin.com instead for more professional networking capabilities. Ecademy.com is also highly useful (but expensive).

By the way....do you have a blog yet and is it under your own name and your own URL? JOHNDOE.com perhaps?

If so, and if you already get good traffic, MONETIZE IT. Start getting click per view ads on the damn thing and get paid for blogging! Set up an Amazon.com AFFILIATE ACCOUNT for yourself and set up a small A-Store. I am doing about 20,000 dollars per month in sales from my Amazon, Click Bank and Adsense accounts combined and I work on that about 4-6 hours per week. It almost runs itself.

Don't forget about the critical importance of SEO (Search Engine Optimization) on your sites and do proper key word research before you start blogging away and find a niche market to focus on. I sell kitchen products as an example. I make more money sleeping than I do working on some days.

Don't discredit western Africa as a future hot spot for investment and growth and development either. I am putting money there now for FDI and it is paying off slowly.

There are some ideas for you. I hope this kicks something into motion for you because teaching sucks, at least in China. You did not go to college to be treated like a dog. At least I didn't.

Messages In This Thread
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Mark Black -- 2011-05-23
Re: Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Jules.A -- 2011-08-30
Re: Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- robin -- 2011-10-16
Re: Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Dragonized -- 2011-09-01
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Crap School Spotter -- 2011-05-23
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Bertie -- 2011-05-23
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Crap School Spotter -- 2011-05-23
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Stan -- 2011-05-24
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Crap School Spotter -- 2011-05-24
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Dragonized -- 2011-05-24
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Crap School Spotter -- 2011-05-26
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Mark Black -- 2011-05-26
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- THe Big, Bad Dragon -- 2011-07-08
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Dragonized -- 2011-07-08
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- P E -- 2011-07-08
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Turino -- 2011-05-27
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Mark Black -- 2011-05-27
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Turino -- 2011-05-27
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Out of Chicago -- 2011-05-27
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Turino -- 2011-05-26
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English, anyone here of alternative career paths in china? -- Dragonized -- 2011-05-26
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English, anyone here of alternative career paths in china? -- Crap School Spotter -- 2011-05-26
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English, anyone here of alternative career paths in china? -- Dragonized -- 2011-05-27
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English, anyone here of alternative career paths in china? -- Turino -- 2011-05-27
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- dude -- 2011-05-26
Re Anyone heard of Hampson English -- Crap School Spotter -- 2011-05-27
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Anyone heard of Hampson English, anyone here of alternative career paths in china?

Go to another board -