TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re EF (English First) Dongguan
Peter Parker - 2011-06-09
In response to Re EF (English First) Dongguan (Steve)

Sorry to disappoint you Steve, but I'm not Wes. I'm just someone who has been in China long enough to be able to see when an English teacher (and I use the term loosely in reference to yourself) is talking out of his backside.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with EF. In fact, I have worked at training centres before and I do not like working in them because of many reasons (such as working weekends, the scheduling, the split days off, etc). I do not blame EF for this, like I have written previously, this is the nature of working at a training centre, if you do not like it don't work in one, you do not have to deride a business or a man just because it did not suit you or your expectations of a "crackin'" life. If I was to take a guess, I would surmise that you are the kind of teacher that is either unable to get a job at a private kindergarten, or International school, etc or if you were able to, you would not be able to hang on to that job for too long, which leaves you no option but to work at training centres.

A 40 hour workweek is a 40 hour workweek. Some schools
do more, some do less, but be honest about your scheduling.

Yes a 40 hour work week is a 40 hour work week, great insight there, Steve! A training centre, for a full-time position, will usually employ a teacher for 20-25 teaching hours a week, plus additional time (in the case of EF a total of 40 hours) for paperwork, etc. This is actually quite standard. Do you really expect a company to hire you full-time and only want you to work a total of 25 hours a week??? Please, point to me in the direction of these companies that hire full-time teachers for a grand total of 25 hours a week. You previously wrote that other training centres will employ a teacher to teach for 25 hours a week, but you did not specify any other details (such as how many hours that training centre requires you to stay in the office to do your paperwork, etc), you left it deliberately vague so as to misrepresent working hours. If you want to only work 20-25 hours a week, I am sure that there are plenty of training centres that will hire you part-time. Except, that a part-time wage cannot cover your drinking expenses for the month, can it? So yes, let's be honest about scheduling.

Also, at the end of the day, you signed a contract agreeing to these working hours, for you now to whine about it speaks volumes about your professionalism.

A personal attack because I am speaking out
against a blatant wrong done by you and EF Dongguan. There is no misinformation on my
end.

If truth be told, I am hardly a fan of the EF company. I know they are franchises and with most franchises they can be hit and miss. I have heard some horror stories about some EF franchises but never anything bad about EF in DG, and I have been here a while. From your poorly written posts I have not really seen too much wrongdoing from EF DG, only that they have tried to hold you to your contract (shock! horror! They want you to work a 40 hour full-time work week!), and that a manager has some degree of control over the people directly under him (I know, how awful it must be that a manager can have such power in a business!).

Yeah, if you are a lazy bollocks! Most, like myself, would rather that
time be spent doing something productive in lue of "sitting on my arse".

You whined about having to work 40 hours a week and above you whine about sitting on your arse. I think we can safely deduce that you do not have a great work ethic so excuse me if I call bull on the fact that you would rather spend this time teaching or doing paperwork. BTW, it is "in lieu" not "in lue". When an English teacher makes glaring mistakes such as these, one has to wonder about the quality of their teaching.

Mark my words, if you work at E.F. Dongguan, Wes WILL talk behind your back (that is when he's not taking you to the
closest massage parlour for a "special" massage. He knows em all!). This is part of who he is! It's standard bullying technique, really.

Yeah, sure Steve, I'll take your word for it.

My drinking habits, and those of many teachers in China,
aren't an excuse for poor managing. Punish those that can't control themselves, not all
just to prove who is in control.

He does punish those that cannot control themselves. If you are genuinely sick all you have to do is produce a doctor's certificate. Of course, if you are hungover it may be a little more difficult to get that doctor's certificate (but, let's be honest, not impossible) which is where your problem comes in, right?

If I was dicky, maybe too ill to get out of bed, I would be nicked two days pay.

Yeah, but I am sure that even in your deathbed you can summon enough strength and courage to make it to the local clinic to see a doctor. Again, excuse me if I call bull on your quote above.

So you're saying that you ARE taking advantage of these people
then? Because they have no proper education?

I know there are employers in China who do take advantage of unqualified teachers, so I ask you, why would you put yourself in the position for ANYONE to take advantage of you? Why don't you go home and get yourself an education and then come back to China? Let me guess, you do not have the discipline to do so, right?

If they come to China
for only a year or two, they'll be here for an experience. To see Asia. Teachers come to
experience a crackin' life away from home. NOT to be controlled and manipulated by you.

I can't speak for Wes, but as an employer myself, if a teacher wants to experience a "crackin'" life away from home then that is fine, he can do what he wants in his spare time/holidays, but when he is teaching or in the office then he is working and I would expect him to perform his duties to the best of his abilities. If he cannot, then he can go and experience his "crackin'" life somewhere else. It really isn't that difficult a concept to understand, is it Steve?

Messages In This Thread
China: EF (English First) Dongguan -- Steve Parker -- 2011-05-24
Re China: EF (English First) Dongguan -- Robert Nutter -- 2015-06-29
Re EF (English First) Dongguan China -- Nikki -- 2011-06-14
EF Dongguan is a terrible place to work for -- Anonymous -- 2011-06-10
Re: EF Dongguan is a terrible place to work for -- J-Hai -- 2011-09-18
Re: EF Dongguan is a terrible place to work for -- ESLSavior -- 2011-09-16
Re: EF Dongguan is a terrible place to work for -- Banana Joe -- 2011-09-17
Re: EF Dongguan is a terrible place to work for -- Dragonized -- 2011-09-16
Re: EF Dongguan is a terrible place to work for -- San Migs -- 2011-09-16
Re EF (English First) Dongguan -- PeterParker -- 2011-06-08
Re EF (English First) Dongguan -- Emma -- 2011-06-09