TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › MAKE 'EM LAUGH!
The Arrogant One - 2005-05-09

There have been many theories on WHAT, exactly, makes an ESL student desire to return to a particular class session after session. Is it the content of the lesson or the method by which it is delivered? Im convinced that its a combination of the two provided the teacher can meet certain qualifications without appearing like the village idiot. Having spend most of my life a frustrated actor, I long ago adopted the theory that if I can make em laugh, my students will be that much more receptive to the learning material at hand, no matter how boring it might otherwise tend to be. Of course, my particular brand of shtick has always tended to coincide with my somewhat corpulent midriff (wherein, despite my being male, students refer to me as being about 7 months pregnant!), balding head, and somewhat advanced age (Im now pushing 68). Hitting my audience with a series of one-liners at the commencement of each lesson has done absolute wonders for my getting them to pay attention to the subsequent delivery of new and difficult material especially at the lower levels. Of course, Im not saying they will learn such material more efficiently, nor will they remember same more readily. Its only that the initial intake, blended with a comical aura, might be a lot easier to digest than without. Also, being known by the students as a comic, does one a lot of good for his/her overall reputation at the school. Students actually look forward to having you as their teacher and, for that reason, will attempt to weather duller classes until that time arrives. Another way to look at is that, in your own way, you are assisting your school in maintaining a steady student population.

Just a thought, folks its not gospel.

Love to all,

The Arrogant One

Messages In This Thread
MAKE 'EM LAUGH! -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-05-09
Thanks for your support - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-05-20
I agree with you........ - ESL discussion -- Julia -- 2005-05-21
That's Dead On, AO - ESL discussion -- SiamSap -- 2005-05-16
Nice - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-11
RIGHT ON! - ESL discussion -- Beatrix Blancmange -- 2005-05-20
Yeap - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-05-20
humor in class? - ESL discussion *Link* -- JO 753 -- 2005-05-10
Your joking? Not joking?...... - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-10
C'mon, man, loosen up a bit! - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-05-10
Your joking? Your not joking?..... - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-10
Time tested methods - ESL discussion -- JO 753 -- 2005-05-11
O.K O.K! Wind up! - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-11
Grain of Truth - ESL discussion -- JO 753 -- 2005-05-11
Balance in the classroom - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-12
RIGHT ON! - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-05-13
Our bread and butter! - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-14
What is Humor - ESL discussion -- Chrisping -- 2005-05-17
Efforts to humour - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-18
Enjoyed reading your comments!!!!! - ESL discussion -- Beatrix Blancmange -- 2005-05-20
Keep 'em laughing while they're learning - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-05-11
ran away... - ESL discussion -- the the -- 2005-05-12
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › MAKE 'EM LAUGH!

Go to another board -