TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › C'mon, man, loosen up a bit! - ESL discussion
The Arrogant One - 2005-05-10
In response to humor in class? - ESL discussion *Link* (JO 753)

Dear Mr. Jo-Jo Seven Score and Fifty-Three,

NO ONE has really suggested that education be reduced to a sitcom. In fact, what I have indicated is merely handing students their learning accompanied by a cream-filled donut only as an enticement to cooperate where excessive cooperation would not normally be anticipated. This I find similar to greeting a customer with a smile and some small talk instead of immediately lunging into a sales dissertation (the facts and only the facts, Ma'am). You've no doubt heard of the "loosening-up process," or is this likewise regarded as "deplorable," in your straightlaced estimation, Lieutenant Friday? And, as for beginning a class with that cold slap in the puss and equally harsh dissertation, my friend, that may be the route for some, I dare say ... but, as for li'l ole MOI, I'd prefer not having to look behind me everywhere I go for fear of the proverbial kick in the gluteus maximus by some equally straightlaced student who might feel my delivery to be tantamount to some form of harassment!

Bearing equal respect for education, Lieutenant, and having as much regard for the material thereof, I have always been under the impression that to deliver same with a smile - like practically everything else in this world - is the most advantageous road to travel. Criminy! If our world leaders can do it in Moscow and still get their diverse point(s) across, who the hell are we to buck that methodology? Indeed, make 'em laugh!

With love,

The Arrogant One

Messages In This Thread
MAKE 'EM LAUGH! -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-05-09
Thanks for your support - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-05-20
I agree with you........ - ESL discussion -- Julia -- 2005-05-21
That's Dead On, AO - ESL discussion -- SiamSap -- 2005-05-16
Nice - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-11
RIGHT ON! - ESL discussion -- Beatrix Blancmange -- 2005-05-20
Yeap - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-05-20
humor in class? - ESL discussion *Link* -- JO 753 -- 2005-05-10
Your joking? Not joking?...... - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-10
C'mon, man, loosen up a bit! - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-05-10
Your joking? Your not joking?..... - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-10
Time tested methods - ESL discussion -- JO 753 -- 2005-05-11
O.K O.K! Wind up! - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-11
Grain of Truth - ESL discussion -- JO 753 -- 2005-05-11
Balance in the classroom - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-12
RIGHT ON! - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-05-13
Our bread and butter! - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-14
What is Humor - ESL discussion -- Chrisping -- 2005-05-17
Efforts to humour - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-18
Enjoyed reading your comments!!!!! - ESL discussion -- Beatrix Blancmange -- 2005-05-20
Keep 'em laughing while they're learning - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-05-11
ran away... - ESL discussion -- the the -- 2005-05-12
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › C'mon, man, loosen up a bit! - ESL discussion

Go to another board -