TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › keep in mind
btdt - 2011-11-16

I think it would be wise for those planning to teach in China, as well as those who are experiencing their first disappointments, to realize that "college" and "university" and "international education center" are only designations meant to attract students and teachers. Not to mention parents who, lacking in sophistication, are drawn to such fancy titles as "International IELTS Education Center."

It always surprises me when I hear about a teacher, or from a teacher in the context of forums like this, who has accepted a job at a Chinese "university" only to find out that they've been totally duped. Well, of course, it does take time to learn the ropes - how to separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were. Nevertheless, it would seem that a little research would have gone a long way toward alleviating some of the discomfort of the crap that people keep stepping into when they first start teaching in China.

It is easy to find lists of legitimate universities in China. That would be a first step. Next, if you're accepted for employment by a college, a university or teaching center that is not listed, that should be the first red flag.

International colleges are another scam. Often they have loosely defined relationships with local universities or even occupy campus buildings, but are, nevertheless, for profit only schools that care little about the success of their students except in terms of figuring out a way to give them a diploma that looks real pretty.

There are many colleges and universities that do give a damn about their students, but those are usually long established academic centers - tier one and two universities. (If you're new to teaching in China, you should learn a little about the tier system. It might help you understand your students better in terms of their motivation - but I digress.)

It's been stated here many times to avoid private schools. I don't necessarily agree with that. There are a few good ones. However, I don't know of any of the chain schools that are worth even mentioning. The good ones are usually joint ventures with well meaning foreigners involved not for the profit but simply because they love seeing the Chinese children make advances in their English as well as their academic lives in general. But, again, research is a must!

Public primary schools and middle schools, to my knowledge, must have permission from the provincial education department to hire foreigners and I believe they must have, in only a way that the Chinese could ever come up with, an association with a local university or college in order to provide visas for FTs. Here again, though, research is a must.

I realize that a lot of this seems simplistic, especially to those who have taught in China for a long time now; however, the obvious is sometimes worth repeating.

At last count (2006), China was hiring something like 100,000 foreign teachers a year. It makes me wonder how many of them are running around willy nilly, just hoping to land that perfect job. Well, as has been said, "Wish in one hand, s**t in the other." Knowing exactly where you are going and what you're going to do once you get there seems a lot better way to go. RESEARCH! Of course maybe you'd like the alternative - rats, cockroaches, thieves, lies, etc. - after all, one can adapt.

Messages In This Thread
keep in mind -- btdt -- 2011-11-16
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › keep in mind

Go to another board -