TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: a separate topic - fire awareness
btdt - 2011-11-22

It's the mindset that needs to change in a so-called collectivist society.

Yes, indeed, and that sentence sent my mind in many different directions because I've often thought along these lines when trying to make heads or tails out of what is going on around me when I'm in China. So here's a few scattered thoughts.

Clearly, the challenges that the younger generations in China have to face are monumental enough; however, they are also caught up by this storm of greed and avarice and corruption that swirls around them. And in a sense they are as much the victims of (Fill in the blank.)______________________________ as were their parents or grandparents.

There needs to be a changed mindset in America, too. I'm often appalled when I come across people who have negative perceptions of China while at the same time they are part of this vast corporate network that has orchestrated and maintained this madness of excess consumerism. I will admit, though, that people are starting to get it. We'll see.

But, as we know, change takes time. Meanwhile, the beat goes on and we're not always as patient as we need to be as we deal with the frustrations of seeing what should be so simple become more and more complex. China is fascinating, though. Chaotic in many ways, but fascinating. I guess that's why I keep going back.

Actually, what resonated most with me about your post, CL, was what you mentioned about intercultural communication. I'd like to hear more about your perceptions in that regard, as I studied interpersonal communication for a few years - many moons ago, and of course I've tried to apply that over the years in China and have tried to be cognizant of cultural differences, but I doubt I've given it the attention that you have. I'm sure that such a work shop or seminar would highly benefit FTs and native staff wherever the twine shall meet. (Judging from some of the posts I've seen here lately, there are plenty of FTs around China who perhaps should have been required to attend such a seminar before beginning their teaching jobs.)

Well, as I said, just scattered thoughts, so here's a quote from the movie, "Boondock Saints:"

"But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Messages In This Thread
Re: a separate topic - fire awareness -- btdt -- 2011-11-22
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: a separate topic - fire awareness

Go to another board -