TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Newbie seeking advice
Meredith - 2011-12-11

All you have written is off-topic and does not even in the slightest answer any of the questions the OP has asked. And you have no first-hand knowledge of Japan and Korea either: "Crappy unsocial hours one normally needs to work" - at a regular uni job in Korea, you will make between 1600 - 2000 USD a month based on a 12-hours weekl schedule. If you have the qualifications, you can do extra teaching hours at Graduate School for another 200 - 500 USD (6 - 8 hours teaching), and all that with normal working hours - no evening an weekend classes! The same applies with respect to Japan!

You don't seem to contribute anything positive on these boards, your "advice" isn't helpful and should not be heeded.

An attorney could make a good teacher, if you can engage and hold the interest of students, you are half way there. If you do not have the innate people skills required it will be a struggle, regardless of any training you receive. You should be an eloquent speaker (I imagine) and, at least you are a native speaker unlike some hereabout. Japan and Korea are not as wonderful as some suppose, the money is somewhat better than in China, but, this is more than offset by the higher cost of living and the crappy unsocial hours one normally needs to work. Try for a uni job in China. chinatefl.com lists many uni's and it is free to use - just contact the uni directly. Avoid recruiters in China, they are rattlesnakes, every one of them. In China with a uni job, which provides free accommodation and a reasonable salary for 16 or 18 hours, you are off to a good start. Do private lessons on top if you want to make more money. I could tell you facts and figures, but the board's mafia don't allow talk of money - if you want more direct info I can provide it off-boards.

You should be warned however, that my opinions are not to be trusted. You see, i like China and make good money here, and that, apparently makes me a bad person

Messages In This Thread
Re: Newbie seeking advice -- Meredith -- 2011-12-11
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Newbie seeking advice

Go to another board -