TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Beware exploitive FTs!
btdt - 2011-12-21
In response to Re: Beware exploitive FTs! (Lili Marleen)

Actually, Lili, I was speaking of trust within in the context of this forum; however, since you have introduced it in this context, I guess I can address that as well.

Of course I disagree. And of course I realize that there are few in this forum who would agree with me.

I think it interesting that many people, if not most, who spend a considerable time abroad do so with eyes a bit more open than at home. We see a lot of corruption, for example, and translate that as "rampant corruption." Not that it's not true. But really, the world is run and controlled by corrupt individuals that reside in every country on earth. It's easy to single out the Chinese because they are so transparent. That is, they could care less what you know because what you know or don't know is not relevant to their lives.

As for truth, I've seen little of it in any city I've been in, whether it's China or elsewhere. People seem to need to lash out locally at problems that exist universally. A less narrow view is needed.

I've met some very honest and trustworthy people in China. Happily, I've even been taken in as an honorary family member of a village family that has only in the last few years seen some of its members move on from the village. I've met every person in that village. I trust each of them far more than I would any of the pretend teachers I've met in China, and I am sometimes awed by the depth of their compassion and caring.

I have many Chinese friends. I don't judge them. They don't judge me. We're human and therefore full of flaws.

I'm bored by people who can't address their own flaws while finding fault all around them. New (and sometimes experienced) teachers in China often act as if they are superior in all ways. It's as if they've descended from the heavens and find themselves surrounded by barbarism or something. Even more interesting is that their limited exposure to things Chinese or the Chinese people doesn't prevent them from being overbearingly opinionated.

It's easy to see in this forum who has actually spent enough time in China to get past their base prejudices. It's also easy to see who has not strayed far enough from the cities to really learn about this country.

Personally, I have traveled far and wide in my life and have learned to love all cultures despite the negatives that exist everywhere. But, again, the cities will teach you very little about China, as they are the breeding ground for every evil imaginable - just like all cities everywhere.

Give it some time, Lili; eventually, you'll find yourself in disagreement with those whose only recourse against those who disagree with their narrow view and petty annoyances is to call them groveling weasels. Their words speak volumes about their lack of experience and cultural awareness.

Are there negatives that need to be realized before teaching EFL in China? Definitely. It's an extremely corrupt system. I personally developed an easy creed to go by when dealing with schools: "One lie, goodbye." So you see, I'm not ignorant regarding the pitfalls of teaching here. It's all about the money. But then, where isn't it?

Messages In This Thread
Beware exploitive FTs! -- btdt -- 2011-12-20
Re: Beware exploitive FTs! -- San Migs -- 2011-12-20
Re: Beware exploitive FTs! -- btdt -- 2011-12-21
Re: Beware exploitive FTs! -- Lili Marleen -- 2011-12-21
Re: Beware exploitive FTs! -- Dragonized -- 2011-12-21
Re: Beware exploitive FTs! -- digger -- 2011-12-22
Re: Beware exploitive FTs! -- Dragonized -- 2011-12-22
Re: Beware exploitive FTs! -- Highly Enlighted -- 2011-12-22
Re: Beware exploitive FTs! -- San Migs -- 2011-12-22
Re: Beware exploitive FTs! -- Lili Marleen -- 2011-12-22
Re: Beware exploitive FTs! -- Dragonized -- 2011-12-23
Re: Beware exploitive FTs! -- btdt -- 2011-12-22
Re: Beware exploitive FTs! -- btdt -- 2011-12-22
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Beware exploitive FTs!

Go to another board -