TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Accurate Update on Raffles Lasalle - ESL discussion
MJ - 2005-05-22
In response to yeah - ESL discussion (an)

As someone who currently works in the ESL Department at this college, I would like to address some of the issues in this thread.

At present, the ESL Department is run by a very competent PD from New Zealand with a team of dedicated teachers who are working hard to introduce an interesting, rigorous, relevant curriculum. Teachers are expected to work a forty hour week, but there is much more give and take than the comments on this thread suggest. Actual contact time with the students is only between 20 and 28 hours which allows plenty of time for preparation and curriculum development.

This is a Design College in which the subjects are taught in English. This means that teachers must be creative and flexible enough to adapt their teaching methods and curriculum. It is not the same as teaching in a school where students devote 100% of their time to studying English.

Raffles Lasalle has a truly international teaching staff with lecturers from over 20 countries. I can honestly say that my colleagues are one of the major joys of teaching at this college. I have never been discriminated against because I am not Singaporean and in fact, the Singaporeans are some of the most tolerant, patient and hard-working people I have ever met.

There is no perfect school. However, there are lecturers in the ESL Department and other departments at this college who continue to renew their contracts. These are talented people. They have other options. This reflects the fact that Raffles Lasalle has its merits.

If you want to work in a dynamic, interesting environment this college might provide the challenge you are looking for. It certainly doesnt suit everyone but many of the statements on this thread are totally misleading.

Messages In This Thread
Raffles Lasalle Shanghai -- Andy -- 2004-08-09
Re: Raffles Lasalle Shanghai -- Lily -- 2004-08-23
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Accurate Update on Raffles Lasalle - ESL discussion

Go to another board -