TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › First check CMU, and then BKK Universities - ESL discussion
Elephant - 2005-05-24
In response to Teaching in Bangkok - ESL discussion (Hunt Allen)

Given your experience and credentials, you should consider teaching at a Thailand university if you come here. I'm not familiar with pay rates at universities, but I think if you decided to teach in Thailand, you'd prefer teaching at a university to teaching at a high school or primary school. I teach English at a high school here and I don't like it. Understand I teach at a government 'country bumpkin' school and not in Bangkok. Bangkok might be better. I've never taught in Bangkok, but my students here cheat way too much for my liking, and my classes are too large and segregated by age, not ability.

I would highly recommend you look for a teaching job at Chiang Mai University. Chiang Mai is in the northern part of Thailand. I applied for a job there last October just for grins. Even though I was in only my first year of teaching and had only a bachelor's degree and a TESOL, I nearly got the job. I didn't have an MA, that is all that held me back. I wasn't wearing my 'job interview get up', either.

If and when you come to Bangkok, hop on an AirAsia flight to Chiang Mai and go see somebody in the English department at CMU. You'll probably prefer Chiang Mai over BKK anyway. It's cooler both literally and figuratively. There are lots of nice high schools up there if you want to teach at a high school, albeit the pay is rather low.

If you didn't land a job at CMU, there are plenty of universities in BKK you could look into after that.

Good luck.

E

Messages In This Thread
Teaching in Bangkok - ESL discussion -- Hunt Allen -- 2005-05-24
First check CMU, and then BKK Universities - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-05-24
Advice on choosing a school - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-24
I know where you're coming from - ESL discussion -- SiamSap -- 2005-05-25
Good One - ESL discussion -- Yobosayo -- 2005-05-24
Bozo don't work here - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-26
I know what awaits - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-25
Yeah - ESL discussion -- Yobosayo -- 2005-05-25
You don't HAVE to be Bozo.... - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-05-26
Like it or not, I'm in - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-26
Whats the alternative? - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-25
Ppssttt......Over here. Yeah, you. - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-05-26
Re: What's the alternative? - ESL discussion -- jinchafa -- 2005-05-26
Much appreciated, guys! - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-27
Re: Much appreciated - ESL discussion -- jinchafa -- 2005-05-28
Some of my 'Other' problems here - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-31
An example of my own D-B - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-27
No third -person yet - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-28
Dialogue-building works - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › First check CMU, and then BKK Universities - ESL discussion

Go to another board -