TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › You don't HAVE to be Bozo.... - ESL discussion
Elephant - 2005-05-26
In response to Yeah - ESL discussion (Yobosayo)

You've been teaching in South Korea for six years and you STILL buy into that Bozo baloney? Come on. Only hard work by your students will really get them fluent. I know from experience Bozo won't get them fluent. Sure, Bozo will get them part of the way to fluency. This means they'll be just fluent enough to be exploitable in sweatshops. Bozo is just a
'band-aid' approach that has been passed off as a viable method to motivate students in the classroom. Fling this idea over the cliff where it belongs. Banish it from your classroom.

Let me suggest another way, my TEFL brother.

SET UP A LANGUAGE LAB AT YOUR SCHOOL.

You teach in South Korea, so you should be able to secure SOME funding at least. Ask your director for a small budget and do it up.

I'm in the planning and testing stages of my own LL, and so far it's a been a TON of fun, both for me and my students. I truly believe this is the way to a new approach in TEFL. There are all kinds of ideas out there floating around on the net. Go surfing. With the things you can easily aquire these days on the net, I guarantee you can design the perfect LL for your learners--and they'll love it.

Based on my students' reactions so far, when I get my project up and running full-steam, I'll rely on the lab more to teach my brats than my classroom.

You're not in Asia to be an entertainer. Open up a lab and let your students entertain themselves.

E

Messages In This Thread
Teaching in Bangkok - ESL discussion -- Hunt Allen -- 2005-05-24
First check CMU, and then BKK Universities - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-05-24
Advice on choosing a school - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-24
I know where you're coming from - ESL discussion -- SiamSap -- 2005-05-25
Good One - ESL discussion -- Yobosayo -- 2005-05-24
Bozo don't work here - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-26
I know what awaits - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-25
Yeah - ESL discussion -- Yobosayo -- 2005-05-25
You don't HAVE to be Bozo.... - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-05-26
Like it or not, I'm in - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-26
Whats the alternative? - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-25
Ppssttt......Over here. Yeah, you. - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-05-26
Re: What's the alternative? - ESL discussion -- jinchafa -- 2005-05-26
Much appreciated, guys! - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-27
Re: Much appreciated - ESL discussion -- jinchafa -- 2005-05-28
Some of my 'Other' problems here - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-31
An example of my own D-B - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-27
No third -person yet - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-28
Dialogue-building works - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › You don't HAVE to be Bozo.... - ESL discussion

Go to another board -