TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › THE "BOZO" APROACH IN TEACHING - ESL discussion
The Arrogant One - 2005-05-26
In response to New York-New York! - ESL discussion (The Arrogant One)

>\-| My dear Elephant,
An accurate description of my method in the classroom (and, I would guess, BB's as well), would not exactly liken it to that of a CLOWN. What I have attempted to describe from the onset of this debate is the use -- albeit, prudent use -- of humor as a tool for us teachers to obtain the student cooperation we so fervently desire and need. NATURALLY, it would be difficult to visualize any academic class's being dominated by humor, however sophisticated, and still get the main point across. By "BOZO," I presume you mean actually clowning about, complete with the variety of antics and hooting expected by Little Jimmy on his first visit to the circus. No, I never had that quite in mind. What I meant to infer was the use of adult humor - referrals to the aspects of life that we can all comprehend, no matter where we're from or which language we speak ... humorous facts which need no oral explanation ... the things that can immediately induce a new student to look upon his teacher as a human being, as opposed to a master sergeant attempting to train new recruits at a boot camp. Excuse me, but I solemnly believe that once that bond is created (... and the sooner it is, the better), both the student and teacher have gone a long way in providing a solid basis for future cooperation in academic areas.

YES, ... many of my classes have been described as "a lot of fun," but the supreme compliment is represented when, at the end of a session, a first-time student approaches me, and says, "Teacher, you're funny!" Silly me, I've got to turn even that into a laugh: "Yeah, thanks a lot," I say. "You sound like my first wife. She always used to say that I was funny ... yeah (heh) ... when I was asleep!" (drummer!)

Certainly, restraint has to be utilized when employing humor in an academic setting, but jeez, Elephant, recalling those smiles on my students' faces gives me a hellova lot of impetus to get out of bed in the morning and repeat the whole process! As you must surely realize, Not only the students need such incentive!

Love from,

The Arrogant One

Messages In This Thread
alright, alright.......my new motto is......... - ESL discussion -- Beatrix Blancmange -- 2005-05-26
all right. my new motto is... - ESL discussion -- Dr. Yanni Zack- ESL Tips and Strategies -- 2005-05-27
New York-New York! - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-05-26
You cant have any pudding til you've eaten your......... - ESL discussion -- Beatrix Blancmange -- 2005-06-09
THE "BOZO" APROACH IN TEACHING - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-05-26
If I gotta act like BOZO, I'll go home - ESL discussion -- Ann-Toe-Knee -- 2005-06-16
I had to act like Bozo, so I went home - ESL discussion -- Ann-Toe-Knee -- 2005-07-07
I guessed that, AO - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-05-27
No restraint. - ESL discussion -- JO 753 -- 2005-05-26
Come on! Admit it! - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-05-27
I admit nothing! - ESL discussion -- JO 753 -- 2005-05-28
What a great idea - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-27
Domain: Affective. - ESL discussion -- Beatrix Blancmange -- 2005-05-27
Bozo--the Band-Aid Approach - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-05-26
And the TEFL shephards sighed.....Amen - ESL discussion -- RhenoThai -- 2005-05-27
SPLITTING HAIRS! - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-05-26
hare brain - ESL discussion -- the the -- 2005-05-29
hare brain - ESL discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2005-05-29
a strong penchant for? - ESL discussion -- the the -- 2005-05-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › THE "BOZO" APROACH IN TEACHING - ESL discussion

Go to another board -