TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › My Language Lab Money Pit - ESL discussion
Hair-Brained Schemer - 2005-05-28

Okay, so I've thought it over, this idea of starting a language lab. My verdict? It won't work at my school, as a language lab here would have a voracious appetite for money--money my school doesn't have. Here's what I've realized when it comes to building a modern lab:

1. I would need about 40 computers to start with. A couple of my classes have upwards of 50, so I may need as many as 45 computers.

2. Each computer will require some interactive language program that is 'interesting' for my students. How am I to decide what is interesting? I have to buy different programs and examine each one. These programs aren't free. And what do I do with the 'rejected' programs I've thrown away money on?

3. Each computer needs a decent sound card, computer speakers, a mic, and recording software. This means even more money.

4. If students are to practice in 'private', each computer must be placed in its own 'cube'. Each cube will require its own power source, a desk, a comfortable chair, a light source, and a fan, as it gets hot enough in Thailand to melt iron at times.

5. Each 'cube' must be large enough for students to have room to 'move around' and operate. If they're too cramped, it'll be too intimidating.

6. All the cubes must be placed in a common room. You don't need them scattered all over the place.
If you don't have a common room, you have to build one--requiring a rather large chunk of legal tender.

7. A computer tech must be onsite or very close to the school in case a computer takes a dump. This is to allow ALL students in a lab class to access to all the computers at the same time with no sharing.
If you have 40 students in a lab with 40 computers, you can't afford down-time.

8. Spare components, such as keyboards, mics, monitors, desks, and chairs, must be kept in storage someplace to replace those components destroyed by vandalism. Thai kids love to tear up things, after all.

So......my language lab, albeit a noble innovation, will remain only an pie-in-the-sky idea where I'm teaching. Maybe when Thailand's per capita income rises to what it is in a place like South Korea (in about 100 years), it'll become a reality. It's too bad I won't be around to see it happen.

Hair on My Brain

· Previous · Next Return to Index › My Language Lab Money Pit - ESL discussion

Go to another board -