TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Tomb-Sweeping Festival
Oldtimer - 2012-03-26

As students cannot pass my courses by just doing the examination, attendance and the subsequent classwork is part of the final grade and each component is weighted.

Indeed you are a hard taskmaster! I haven't a clue as to whether it's because you're teaching at a Chinese university or because you have adopted the current craze in education re continuous assessment.
When I graduated from Edinburgh University ages ago, when my further education was paid for by the state, pre Thatcherite days, I did so after skiving many, many lectures. The degree exams were what mattered, assesssment of the whole academic year's work, not any 'classwork' included. But my degree was in 'pure science', not 'the arts'. I failed many end of the 1st and 2nd term class exams, no matter! I came up trumps in the all-important degree exams, and/or their resits. That's how a prestigious Western university used to do it - I dunno about these days, though!
Except: I skived all Physics 1A labs, which meant I needed 56% in the degree exam to pass, instead of a mere 50%. Achieved it in September's resit that year!
Wouldn't have taken to you as my lecturer in those days - out of kilter with the others then, I know. Or maybe you wouldn't have been then!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Tomb-Sweeping Festival -- Oldtimer -- 2012-03-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Tomb-Sweeping Festival

Go to another board -