TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: the Neil Heywood case
Magister - 2012-04-12

Was he naively drawn into this murky world or, as a 'fixer' for the wealthy, was he fully aware of his actions?

It will be interesting to see how the Chinese portray the victim in this case. I'm sure that any of us that have spent a significant amount of time in China will have come across some anti-foreign sentiment. This kind of idea is often echoed by the government when it talks about foreign interference in the running of China. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point the authorities didn't take the opportunity to spin this story along these very lines.

As for Bo Xilai, his political career is finished. The authorities can and will stick the boot in where his reputation is concerned and use him as the scapegoat for pretty much anything over the next few months. I also hear that they have rounded up dozens of middle ranking officials who had contact with him during his time in Chongqing and previous position in Dalian so it certainly seems if others will be for the chop too.

The BBC is running a story based on an interview with a former colleague of Gu Kailai who claims

"People likened her and her husband to the Jack and Jackie Kennedy of China - they were the modern liberal element thereā€

Anyone else found any good/fasical analogies?

Messages In This Thread
Re: the Neil Heywood case -- Magister -- 2012-04-12
Re: the Neil Heywood case -- englishgibson -- 2012-04-12
Re: the Neil Heywood case -- Magister -- 2012-04-12
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: the Neil Heywood case

Go to another board -