TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: On culture shock
Dan Newton - 2012-04-12

Hi,

I myself have never really had culture shock when working in far off lands. I have seen others with it and it does not look like a pleasant thing. I think that one of the best remedies is to go out and see where you are. Pack a small backpack, take plenty of water and enough money and just go and explore. I have seen some teachers become totally secluded and withdrawn due to culture shock. I pity them and I try to help them and include them in as many things as possible. The down side is that as I am sure many ESL teachers are aware, lots of schools have a hardcore click of teachers who totally ignore and exclude new teachers. Even now I still find it totally unacceptable and childish that 'adults' behave like this, and I am sorry to say that the main culprits seem to be the British teachers (I myself being English). Culture shock does not last, but from what I have seen it can be quite upsetting for those who experience it. Chin up and just remember it is not forever and once you establish yourself you will be as right as rain.

Messages In This Thread
Re: On culture shock -- Dan Newton -- 2012-04-12
Re: On culture shock -- boxiangjiaopi -- 2012-04-13
Re: On culture shock -- San Migs -- 2012-04-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: On culture shock

Go to another board -