TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: the Neil Heywood case
Magister - 2012-04-13
In response to Re: the Neil Heywood case (englishgibson)

If not framing then there is certainly a degree of political opportunism involved in the situation. As i stated in a previous post it was Wen Jiabao's speech stating that China didn't want a return to the cultural revolution that is seen by many as the beginning of the end for Mr Bo. There seems to be a general feeling now that Bo had gained a bit too much power from outside the current leadership and therefore if his rise to prominence continued then the vested interests of the current leadership would have been at stake. His policies and general political style are certainly more populist than the majority of Chinese leaders. Again this forms an independent power base, this time from the people themselves, which Beijing will not have been too happy with.

It certainly seems convenient for Bo's enemies that months before he was about to climb the next step of his political career this story breaks. I think it says a lot about how Chinese politics operates. I can't believe that Bo is the only high ranking politician to be involved with corruption, organised crime and possibly even murder yet so long as you play the game within the rules and pay your dues to those above you you'll be safe. The irony is (this is being pointed out by several Chinese netizens) that this sounds remarkably like the Cultural Revolution - swear loyalty to the party and to Mao or you will be destroyed.

Messages In This Thread
Re: the Neil Heywood case -- englishgibson -- 2012-04-13
Re: the Neil Heywood case -- Magister -- 2012-04-13
Re: the Neil Heywood case -- englishgibson -- 2012-04-14
Re: the Neil Heywood case -- Magister -- 2012-04-15
Re: the Neil Heywood case -- cunning lnguist -- 2012-04-18
Re: the Neil Heywood case -- San Migs -- 2012-04-14
Motives for the murder of Mr. Neil Heywood -- englishgibson -- 2012-04-15
Re: Motives for the murder of Mr. Neil Heywood -- San Migs -- 2012-04-15
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: the Neil Heywood case

Go to another board -