TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: I need an EFL job
juanisaac - 2012-04-18
In response to I need an EFL job (Sebastian)

Pretty much the country side of China is what is opened to you. I have a Spanish name and come from a background in education totaling about 7 years, four in the USA in an ESL high school environment. Sure enough all the work offers I get are in the countryside.
You are European and white (I assume) so after the native speakers from the "big five" find work, there is work leftover for you. When schools can't find a native speaker, they widen their choices. Don't give up. Look at echinacities.com in their employment section. Type in "European" or "non-native speaker" and a few schools will have openings for you. However, keep in mind that these jobs are in places like Harbin and Changchun (close to Siberia) and other less desirable locations. Pretty much the coastal cities of Shanghai, Qingdao, and other top choices for Westerners will have more competition and have less openings. I know of Africans and Phillipino nationals that work in China, and in terms of school hiring choices you are farther up the food-chain.
I would also suggest getting some work experience in Portugal tutoring or teaching English.
If you need extra help, e-mail me and I can get you in contact with someone with many job leads in Jiangsu province. Just keep in mind that Shanghai, Nanjing, Suzhou, and a few other foreign teacher magnets may not be open to you, take care.

Messages In This Thread
I need an EFL job -- Sebastian -- 2012-04-18
Re: I need an EFL job -- foxy -- 2012-04-18
Re: I need an EFL job -- juanisaac -- 2012-04-18
Re: I need an EFL job -- Faith -- 2012-04-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: I need an EFL job

Go to another board -