TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Stay local and get early childhood teaching degree or teach English overseas now?
cunning inguist - 2012-04-26

Hi Emily. If you have been in the caring profession as a doctor or nurse,then you will be used to dealing with people in a variety of situations, and this could be a good background for teaching at any level. People who are good with people, show empathy, and can develop rapport, often make very good teachers.

Full time postgrad studies take one year (in the UK) and longer in other countries, so is it possible to attend grad school first and perhaps you and your boyfriend can finish your education at the same time? Or is your prime motivation to be together now?

Kindergarten teaching is not for everybody, I know I couldn't do it. The kids will have a short attention span, get tired easily and your entertainment skills will have to be first-class. Depending on where you find a job, it could be nothing more than glorified baby-sitting. But don't let this dissuade you if you feel some pre-grad school experience is essential.

You also need to ask yourself where you want to be after grad school - location and type of work. The term 'early years' can also cover primary so don't limit your options. Is seeing some of the world by country-hopping and working also part of your plan? It's always good to get some experience beforehand, but let's say you didn't take to the work. How would your plan change, particularly the idea of a dual-masters degree?

What are your boyfriend's plans after graduation? Stay in Bolivia, travel, get married?

I don't expect you to answer any of my questions on an open forum, merely to consider your options by asking yourself some further questions.

Further education is never wasted, and it is possible that you could gain some practical experience during your studies by way of placements, depending on the type of course.

A decision to go, and take a gamble on the work and your aptitude, may seem "crazy" at the moment, but you would not be the first to take the plunge. And it is often a good thing to move outside our comfort zone and try new things. How do we know if we will be good at something unless we try? Just ensure that you do lots of research first so you are not in a poor working environment where you learn and earn very little.

Best of luck.

Regards

CL

Messages In This Thread
Stay local and get early childhood teaching degree or teach English overseas now? -- Emily -- 2012-04-26
Re: Stay local and get early childhood teaching degree or teach English overseas now? -- cunning inguist -- 2012-04-26
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Stay local and get early childhood teaching degree or teach English overseas now?

Go to another board -