TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: re:american english
Legionnaire - 2012-05-02
In response to Re: re:american english (D-Dan)

Well I am an Englishman and I have to admit I prefer American English to English, English. It flows better, it is more familiar to others (Thank you Hollywood) and it is a lot more friendly and appealing. There is a standard to both forms, but the main problem with English, English is the various regional accents. I realize that the US also has its regional accents, but the standard twang remains constant. This can not be said for our form of the language, it leaves many ESL learners confused. US English is stricter, it is more phonemic, English, English relies too much on the weak form and this bugs the hell out of learners!!!! Sorry English, English but that's just the way it is.

That twang you like so much has its origin in some parts of the West Country, England, together with many of their[the yanks] expressions like "good old boy"

Anything easier to learn is friendlier. Everything about English the way the Americans speak it ends up as an abridged version of the language. It's Spring now and like the other seasons it has its own adjective. The best Americans and ill-educated English can come up with is a clumsy 'Spring-like' No, English should be easy to learn if you just want to settle for an abridged version.

You are just selling out to Hollywood. If you were a proper English teacher in a proper English school in England, you would hold a different opinion. Alas, you would not be qualified for that task, would you? Like the rest of us FT's you peddle oral English.

I am in error suggesting you have sold out. That suggest that you were a genuine English teacher in England in the first place.

Having said all that there are some very capable English speakers in America; however, you will not find them making shoddy Hollywood appearances or like you teaching oral English in China. I've met a couple who even prefer to pronounce SCHEDULE correctly. And let's not forget American spelling differences came about largely as a political decision to distance themselves from Britain. Americans in China always refer to English people as British. Why do they do that??

Messages In This Thread
re:american english -- San Migs -- 2012-04-29
Re: re:american english -- D-Dan -- 2012-05-01
Re: re:american english -- Legionnaire -- 2012-05-02
Re: re:american english -- San Migs -- 2012-05-04
Re: re:american english -- D-Dan -- 2012-05-03
Re: re:american english -- mynd i ffwrdd "athro" -- 2012-05-03
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: re:american english

Go to another board -