TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Many questions about teaching English in China
juanisaac - 2012-06-09

You have received some pretty good advice here. I am in the same position as you, except that I am Mexican. I was also educated in the states where I received my degree. You may also need to have clear English pronunciation. You can certainly insist on having a conversation via skype to make sure your employers know that your speech pattern is discernible.

Your first prospects are small cities in rural areas that have trouble recruiting teachers. I myself am in a town of 500,000 people and earn about 7,000 a month which makes for a comfortable lifestyle. I have been in country two years now working in rural areas. At the moment I am receiving offers from bigger cities like Nanjing now that I can network and schools can meet me in person. But like someone said earlier in a post,"I would not work in Shanghai for 15,000," and neither would I. Matter of fact, I would stay here and earn 7k a month than move to Nanjing and earn 10k a month. But if you would like to someday move on to a bigger city, being able to show a potential employer that you have staying power in China goes a long way.

Every year I meet native teachers from those "big five" countries that just had it with China and the way they do things that they just have to leave. Once again the schools must bring in a new batch teachers to repeat the process over the next year. There is a place for you here in China, if you do not mind starting on the edge of civilization and working yourself in.

If you need some references on where to find employment, send me an e-mail. Take care.

Messages In This Thread
Many questions about teaching English in China -- Teza Stone -- 2012-06-06
Re: Many questions about teaching English in China -- juanisaac -- 2012-06-09
Re: Many questions about teaching English in China -- Magister -- 2012-06-06
Re: Many questions about teaching English in China -- San Migs -- 2012-06-07
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Many questions about teaching English in China

Go to another board -