TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad
San Migs - 2012-07-17

Interesting post, foxy, would like to dissect it if I may?

Generally speaking, I agree with you. However, there are certain 'schools' in China that we should try to avoid working for. Avoid all training centers, you won't get an easy time there - you'll have to justify your presence by making money for your Chinese/foreign bosses, and have to break sweat to do so.

True. While I am not afraid of "breaking a sweat" I am loathe to do it to make a Chinese boss who knows nothing about education rich. Traning centers also have no problem in letting FT's go when they see fit, it is not a two way street.

Also avoid all private schools that are run in part or in full by Westerners or by Chinese with Western passports. They're too strretwise re education.

I'd agree that some of these western/chinese co-operative schools are not good news. Heard nothing but bad news about them. Just curious about what you mean as too streetwise re education? Do you mean too stern regarding the FT's teaching methods?

Backwater private schools run by Chinese are a better option, but the public schools/colleges/universities are the best choice by far, especially those in small places.

I would agree. I just finished a public middle school gig, which despite the disgusting accomodation was actually very cushy and in a nice small town with friendly folk.

Though education in China is a joke, Being a foreign teacher in China is great for those of us who prefer doing little work for a reasonable pay provided that we exercise great caution as regards choosing our employers. No point to travel so far from our homelands to teach only to result in being sent packing in disgrace!

The problem is without standards it will continue to remain a joke, nothing will ever change in that regard. And yes coming all the way to China without paid airfare does make it less worthwhile!

Regards
SMGS

Messages In This Thread
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- foxy -- 2012-07-14
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- Maxi -- 2012-07-15
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- foxy -- 2012-07-15
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- San Migs -- 2012-07-17
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad -- foxy -- 2012-07-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad

Go to another board -