TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: re: reverse culture shock?
Magister - 2012-07-20
In response to re: reverse culture shock? (San Migs)

It's a good article and certainly some of the points within will resonate with many people who have returned home from working abroad.

Lots of things having changed with your neighborhood and group of friends from the last time you went home can be a problem. However, I also think that some expats returning home sometimes feel the opposite, i.e. nothing and no one have changed!
You find Your family/group of friends all have pretty much the same lives and continue the same social routines. Sure there may be a few details that are different but in essence they are the same people as when you left. On the other hand you (the returning expat) have seen and experienced many new things and led a life that was different to the one that you left behind. You may therefore feel that your perspective on things has changed from what it was before and you find it difficult to slip back into living your former life. The end result is still reverse culture shock just with a slightly different set of circumstances.

The above is written from my own experience of the first time I returned to the uk from living abroad (not china).

Messages In This Thread
re: reverse culture shock? -- San Migs -- 2012-07-20
Re: re: reverse culture shock? -- Dragonized -- 2012-07-20
Re: re: reverse culture shock? -- Magister -- 2012-07-20
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: re: reverse culture shock?

Go to another board -