TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: re: reverse culture shock?
Dragonized - 2012-07-20
In response to re: reverse culture shock? (San Migs)

SMGS a lot of the reverse culture shock I think really comes from an idea of "Rosy Retrospection" which was a term I came across recently in another book written about relationships. When we leave a place we not only leave the projected sense of negativity but we also have no place to put our own positive projections for the short time being. Accepting a lower standard of positiveness can actually change your mind to the point of it needing to be re-changed back to what you had before, which can seem like learning a whole new thing in the beginning, but is just a matter of getting back the feeling of "being there" and "knowing" it on many levels.

Working overseas for a while can make you forget the good feelings you had back home, especially if you've been away for a while. It does take some time to get re-acclimated as the older you get, the less resilient you become. Even when I left the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia I missed the genuine hospitality I had received from a few of my students, which wasn't anything I could get really from my students when I was working in China. But what you have to realize is that we all live more or less in a suspended state of belief when we live overseas with judging many things, despite the numerous and genuine complaints we see on the boards.

Taking too much time away from home can actually make you feel like the norm back home doesn't necessarily seem "right". I hope you are adjusting. Socializing as well as treating yourself to nice little pleasurable things that you can only find back wherever you came from are things you can do to get re-acclimated.

Messages In This Thread
re: reverse culture shock? -- San Migs -- 2012-07-20
Re: re: reverse culture shock? -- Dragonized -- 2012-07-20
Re: re: reverse culture shock? -- Magister -- 2012-07-20
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: re: reverse culture shock?

Go to another board -