TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The eternal teacher of the spotless English - ESL discussion
Howard Zinn, Historian - 2005-06-13
In response to Unfrozen Caveman Teacher - ESL discussion (Elephant)

That's pretty funny. But it's true, unfortunately. I can't believe guys and gals will come Asia not knowing any other language but English.

No wonder English teachers have so many behavior/motivation/proficiency problems. No wonder they must resort to the desperation tactic of acting like Bozo the clown to get their students interested enough to learn five vocabulary words per semester.

At my TEFL mill, I was told I 'didn't have to know the native L1'. Baloney. I chose to learn a little and it helped tremendously. I can't imagine trying to do this without knowing at least some of the native language where I would be teaching.

If you teach in China, learn some Chinese. If you teach in Korea, learn some Korean.

Messages In This Thread
Unfrozen Caveman Teacher - ESL discussion -- Elephant -- 2005-06-08
I agree - ESL discussion -- SiamSap -- 2005-06-15
That's exactly right - ESL discussion -- Ann-Toe-Knee -- 2005-06-15
The eternal teacher of the spotless English - ESL discussion -- Howard Zinn, Historian -- 2005-06-13
Useful, but not necessary - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-06-13
Excellent post, Yingwen - ESL discussion -- Howard Zinn, Historian -- 2005-06-13
Thanks, HZ - ESL discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2005-06-14
Right again - ESL discussion -- Howard Zinn, Historian -- 2005-06-14
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › The eternal teacher of the spotless English - ESL discussion

Go to another board -