TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Summation of the debate.
Clyde - 2012-08-03
In response to Re: Summation of the debate. (Dragonized)

Sometimes we meet folks who are on the other side of the spectrum. In real life if I find that my values or outlook on things are vastly different from that of a colleague or acquaintence, I move on and change the topic. The folks who label others as pathetic but only come back and attack these supposedly "lower" individuals who they assume to be paedophiles or unethical types only expose themselves for the insecure, egotistical folks that they are.

Dragonwhatever, you do realize that contained in this one paragraph is a self-condemnation, don't you. At the same time you criticize others for calling people pathetic who first call them "grovelling weasels", you in term call them "insecure" and "egotistical". By your own circular logic, this would then make you either a GW, pathetic, or "insecure and egotistical."

Now, stepping out of the realm of circular logic and tautology, let's just talk straight. You and others try to make this as if there are two equal parties who differ in their opinions. One prefers the Mets one prefers the Dodgers. Why, it's like the Hatfields and the McCoys. But it's not. One side is more or less in the center and in agreement with accepted moral principles and educational protocol, and the other is at the extreme of irresponsibility, to the degree of breaking laws in the west, and also peppers their stance with overt misogynist statements ("All Western women are 2nd rate") and racist drivel.

I for one never said that they were pedophiles (though those who like to have sex with people as young as the law will possibly allow might consider breaching that law), but a comparison to "pedophilia" is obvious and necessary when discussing having sex with vulnerable people, both because of age and power differences, because any idiot can understand why pedophilia is wrong and will agree that it's wrong. Once people accept that there is such a thing as inappropriate sex, and power abuse, we can scale it back to other situations of sexual harassment that are less vile, but still despicable.

Now, with intelligent, informed, socially aware people, one wouldn't have to even bother raising the ugly spectacle of pedophilia. But with informed, socially aware people we would never be debating whether it's OK to have sex with students or not. We all know it's not OK, like we know that beating students isn't OK. Some people somehow missed out on this, and they are the social equivalents of the people who still argue that the Earth is flat or the Holocaust never happened.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Summation of the debate. -- Dragonized -- 2012-08-02
Re: Summation of the debate. -- Clyde -- 2012-08-03
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Summation of the debate.

Go to another board -