TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: A warning of two recruiters to avoid!
tianjindave - 2012-08-06

For example:
In the UK, you'd be initially offered a contract for a job with a big company that would include a clause about the offer being subject to you subsequently passing a medical exam. There would also be a stipulated probationery period. If you were a foreigner, eg a Japanese, you'd never be allowed to start work until you had your green card. As for your mandatory medical insurance, that would be deducted from your salary as your contribution, and your employer would also have to pay his share.

By contrast, the way things are arranged in respect of the above in China is an utter shambles. Furthermore, your employment rights are compromised on account of the employer having extra rights. This double-medical nonsense is a good example of beaurocracy gone mad. You can counter that only if the employer was careless enough to let you sign the contract he offered you before he tried to make you tske another medical locally. In fact, there is no specific clause in the contract re medical exams and none of us should be teaching before we have our Resident's Card. That's illegal! Many Chinese employers expect us to teach during the first 30 days of our Z visa, during which time they will decide whether or not to employ us. This is ridiculous and we should have been made fully aware of that before we had flown to China! Also, given that the SAFEA contract allows your employer to dismiss you at any time during the run of the contract after a dismissal procedure has been instigated negates the need for a probationary period in my view. Some Chinese employers have tampered with the SAFEA contract by adding this to the appendix thereof. That is not good!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

According to Foxy, whom I don't doubt, the British heath people can be tricky also. I have had a quote from my doctor after leaving the Chinese form with the surgery receptionist. The quote was £150. Foxy tells me that they have omitted(lies by omission) to advise me that others will want a cut of the cake, the hospital will want to get in on the action by also levying charges. I have written the doctor once more, and am told she will reply by Wednesday. Here is my letter.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-
mobile 0752 3921 806

Dear Dr

I came in the other day; as a result you left me a quote of £150, to do a medical(form enclosed;) however, after been given advice by a Mr Foxy on ESL Teachers Forum, advising me that there could be other charges, as a result of you contracting out procedures to the hospital.

I've had a few of these medicals done in China itself, so I know the equipment involved, which is quite considerable.

I don't know if I want this medical done or not. If it's only £150 for everything, well I can afford that, even though I am unemployed. But can you tell me if there are any hidden charges, please? Do I have to pay the hospital for the use of their equipment, which I assume you do not have on-site, on top of the £150?

I notice (on the rear of form) that they require various results attached-maybe X-Ray exposure etceteras.

These medicals all used to be done in China. I'd write my own and potato stamp it but cannot produce “attached results”

The Chinese are hassling me at the moment, so would appreciate hearing from you, so I can either tell them I won't be coming, or I will.

Cheers David
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________--

As for the Chinese, I never believe a word they tell me and as long as they pay I don't really mind them giving me another medical when I get there. Neither do I mind if I'm working illegally for a while,life has it's risks and one shouldn't worry too much about stuff. It'll all come out in the wash.

Messages In This Thread
Re: A warning of two recruiters to avoid! -- tianjindave -- 2012-08-05
Re: A warning of two recruiters to avoid! -- foxy -- 2012-08-05
Re: A warning of two recruiters to avoid! -- tianjindave -- 2012-08-05
Re: A warning of two recruiters to avoid! -- foxy -- 2012-08-05
Re: A warning of two recruiters to avoid! -- tianjindave -- 2012-08-06
Re: A warning of two recruiters to avoid! -- Connie -- 2012-08-05
Re: A warning of two recruiters to avoid! -- tianjindave -- 2012-08-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: A warning of two recruiters to avoid!

Go to another board -