TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › Linyi University, don't teach there !
Anonymous - 2012-08-16

I've been working in LYU for 9 months (1 year contract but there are holidays), and i can tell you that's teacher's nightmare.
The salary is not 9000 as they write in their ads, it's 4000 for bachelor and master and 6000 for phd.

Accomodation is nasty, worst than any cheap hostel you can find along the streets of the city, they're located in an old hostel falling appart above a restaurant, the building is 50 years old at least and was not renewed for a loooonnnng time. It's not appartments neither nice room, it's about 15 square meters, old, dusty and internet works when it works.
And your appartment (or should i say your room) is located 20 minutes away from the working place by school bus, that mean everyday you have to go on the other side of your campus (5 minutes walk), wait and take the schoolbus to the new campus outside the city (20 minutes) and do the opposite when going back home.
You can still choose to live on this new campus but there's nothing to do, no fun, no supermarket, rooms are even smaller and it's almost outside the city, then you need to take the bus everytime you want to do something.

The teacher's schedules change everytime when the school choose it, they ask you to do unpaid extra work such as thesis about the differences in teaching methods in your home country and china and if you refuse to do it they will not renew your contract.
The Chinese staff never try to talk to you, except 1 or 2 guys the people working in the school of foreign languages does not speak any english or else.

Except all there are some good points, they pay on time and you don't have any office hours, most of teachers are working much less than the so said 25 hours/week in the contract, Linyi's people are lovely, life is cheap there and the city is convenient and has many nice places without being too big.

· Previous · Next Return to Index › Linyi University, don't teach there !

Go to another board -