TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Getting married- the medical
Justin Thyme - 2012-10-13
In response to Re: Getting married- the medical (Magister)

The issue of a medical was not clear which is why I asked the question. I was expecting those who use the Forum and are married (like yourself) to confirm or deny so thanks for your input.

This is what I have found out, taking as an example someone from the UK.

1. The expat will need to have certain documents in his possession or be able to obtain them from the UK. So you will need to prove that you are “single” . The expat, having the documents on hand, arranges an appointment at the Embassy or Consulate.

2. “If you live in China, and wish to marry a Chinese citizen in China, you must come to the Embassy or Consulate for the area where you reside and submit a Notice of Intention to Marry. If you hold a valid Chinese residence permit, you should present your permit [in your passport] when applying. If you are not normally resident in China, you must have stayed in China for a minimum of 21 continuous days before you submit the Notice of Marriage. The 21 days are counted from the date of the last Chinese immigration entry stamp; previous stays do not fulfil this requirement.

3. Chinese nationals can only be married in their area of 'household registration' (Hukou). If this area is in a different Consular District from where you give the Notice,[as in my case] the CNI will be issued by the relevant British Consulate-General or Embassy covering that area. Chinese nationals can register a marriage with an expat in their hukou -an official document that indicates where the citizen's recorded place of residence is.

4. If the expat is living in a different city or area to where his partner’s hukou is registered then the expat will have to return to his partner’s hukou area. Transfer of hukou is possible but difficult. “A citizen can transfer his or her hukou if an apartment is purchased or a position is held that is not considered to be a transient one (for example, a position as a hotel clerk would not qualify for a hukou transfer but a position as a senior middle school teacher at a government school would).”

I have been told by a number of expats that the issue of a medical may be specific to the marriage registration practices of the area, which is why I am confused.

Messages In This Thread
Getting married- the medical -- Justin Tyme -- 2012-10-10
Re: Getting married- the medical -- englishgibson -- 2012-10-14
Re: Getting married- the medical -- foxy -- 2012-10-14
Re: Getting married- the medical -- Magister -- 2012-10-12
Re: Getting married- the medical -- Justin Thyme -- 2012-10-13
Re: Getting married- the medical -- Magister -- 2012-10-13
Re: Getting married- the medical -- Justin Thyme -- 2012-10-13
Re: Getting married- the medical -- extc -- 2012-10-10
Re: Getting married- the medical -- Justin Thyme -- 2012-10-12
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Getting married- the medical

Go to another board -